Interview for the Special Constabulary

Stomp

My advice would be to take note of this earlier post:

I tried to join the Specials when I was 19 but I was rejected. I didn't have any life experience really and I now know that I had a lot of growing up to do. The thing I would say is that you need to have a grasp of what's going on around you and your locality. Common sense is also key (and that's not always that common).

Good luck.

I think that by asking for advice on SF to help you get through the interview/tasks without giving any details of what the interview/tasks may involve only highlights your naivety, as does your own post:

Agree we need honest Police, but why should people have to be paid to do something meaningful for their community? Whatever happened to the spirit of volunteering?

You are applying for a job where you are presumably going to be in a position to help the public. Instead of asking questions such as these, you are the one that should be providing the answers.

Good luck anyway and I hope you let us all know how you got on!

I think that by asking for advice on SF to help you get through the interview/tasks without giving any details of what the interview/tasks may involve only highlights your naivety, as does your own post.

I wanted to get the opinion of anyone who had actually been through the assesments. I didn't think it would help by publishing the intricate details of the interview, as I didn't want a general opinion as I would perhaps for a 'normal' job interview. You are free to research the details of the assesment for Police recruits which are freely available online. After you have read them, maybe you can lecture me some more about it?

You are applying for a job where you are presumably going to be in a position to help the public. Instead of asking questions such as these, you are the one that should be providing the answers.

Why? Do Police officers know the answers to the questions I asked? Perhaps it forms part of the training.

... You are free to research the details of the assesment for Police recruits which are freely available online. After you have read them, maybe you can lecture me some more about it?

Why? Do Police officers know the answers to the questions I asked? Perhaps it forms part of the training.

You do appear to be a little sensitive!

I have no intention of researching any details - you asked for advice and people have given their opinions based on the information you provided. Some of those opinions you obviously do not agree with - that is fair enough!

I suggest you try to relax a little before your interview - it may help!

What would be the reason for having a chip on my shoulder?

If you look at my second post you will see I gave valid reasons for not letting folk know what you do on an open forum.

Put it this way, if you were a police officer would you let people know on here?

Bearing in mind respect for race and diversity, political correctness, data protection act et al, a slip of the tongue on here could lose you your job or even worse, prosecution.

And yes I know he is applying as a special, however the same rules apply.

So old chap, once you have finished jumping to conclusions and insulting people Ii would suggest you read the thread properly.

Nothing wrong with o.p. post far as i can see. I hate all this secret world that people live in everybody frightened of what will happen to them if some one finds out what they do and as for all this data protection act etc takeing a bit to far arent you. You cant hide that you work for the police a number of people were i live work for the police and noboby is bothered. A bit re-assuring sometimes in fact. Learn to relax and stop looking over your shoulder.

You do appear to be a little sensitive!

I don't suffer fools gladly. Don't confuse that with sensitivity.

I have no intention of researching any details - you asked for advice and people have given their opinions based on the information you provided. Some of those opinions you obviously do not agree with - that is fair enough!

I know the difference between a helpful, and unhelpful comment.

I suggest you try to relax a little before your interview - it may help!

That's good advice.

I don't suffer fools gladly. Don't confuse that with sensitivity...

I know the difference between a helpful, and unhelpful comment...

OK this is my final attempt to try to help you.

You openly admit that you do not suffer fools gladly - I strongly recommend that you keep this to yourself during your interview! What does it really mean? Do you have a short-temper? Do you not listen to what other people have to say? Do you think that you are always in the right? As you can see such a statement is open to (mis?)interpretation - if you were asked in interview what you mean by that what would you say?

You know the difference between helpful and unhelpful comments - glad to hear it! Remember though that a comment is not unhelpful just because it does not agree with your way of thinking!

You say that ...

I wanted to get the opinion of anyone who had actually been through the assesments...

... however, you have received a reply from someone who has been through the process ...

I tried to join the Specials when I was 19 but I was rejected. I didn't have any life experience really and I now know that I had a lot of growing up to do. The thing I would say is that you need to have a grasp of what's going on around you and your locality. Common sense is also key (and that's not always that common).

Good luck.

... and would presumably be the ideal person to grill about what is involved.

Now unless you have PM'd the poster, in which case I apologise, you have made no attempt to follow up the post with subsequent questions which may have helped in your interview, and have not even publically acknowledged the post.

I can understand that some of the posts on here may have put you on the defensive a little, making you feel you have to justify your decision whilst at the same time ignoring the advice given, but this is a forum. If people on here upset you, how are you going to cope in the real world working as a public servant?

Good luck again!

Hello Forummers,

I have an interview on Saturday for SYP, with a view to entering the Special Constabulary.

Does anyone have any advice that may help me get through the tasks? Any help would be most welcome!

Just tell the interviewees that you don't mind your sworn statements been altered without your knowledge, and you will be selected post-haste. Another vegetable welcomed into the vegetable patch.

Angel.

Crikey! All they asked for was advice about an up and coming interview.

No problem with that, Specials.com has loads of advice about it. It also has an open forum for both serving police officers and members of the public to view.

No problem with posting on an open forum providing they are careful about they put. One of the qualities they look for after all is transparency.

Hello Forummers,

I have an interview on Saturday for SYP, with a view to entering the Special Constabulary.

Does anyone have any advice that may help me get through the tasks? Any help would be most welcome!

be yourself, keep calm. good for you for applying. good luck.

I have nothing to hide.

The fact that there are several senior Police Officers on this forum also kinda blows your argument right out of the water.

Yes but they wouldn't be asking for basic information for a role in which they were applying on an open, public forum.

Good luck.

P.s. You're a bit touchy for someone applying for a role in the public eye and dealing with people from all walks of life, aren't you?

Not sure that's what I would want from a public servant.

Archived