Carluccios, Meadowhall.

mossdog

Just returned from Carluccios at Meadowhall.Service and ambience excellent,just a shame about the food.

We ordered Calamari with toasted garlic bread,and Penne with chilli,spinach and mixed vegatables.

So.......here we go! the toasted garlic bread was superb but the calamari was the usual boring squid rings in batter with a wedge of lemon on top! no imagination there then! (Loch Fyne could teach them how to do this). The pasta dish came on a stone cold plate with lots of giant penne pasta but a minimal of additions that seemed as though they were spooned on top out of a tupperware container that had been in the fridge overnight.Just the usual chain fare with not an Italian in sight,.................what a disappointment!........but we have decided to return one more time on our next visit and hope that we have judged unfairly as we would like them to succeed.Meadowhall is lacking in any class eateries in our opinion and we were delighted to see Carluccios open..........but!

It's another chain restaurant - I doubt your experience will be much different - but some will love it all the same - that's how they succeed.

Go to Calabria in Chesterfield next time. It's a proper Italian restaurant.

But looking at the staff pics..........does not appear to be run by Italians once again!................I mean lets face it,you would not go to a Chinese restaurant not run by Chinese or an Indian restaurant run by Cowboys!!!

It's another chain restaurant - I doubt your experience will be much different - but some will love it all the same - that's how they succeed.

Go to Calabria in Chesterfield next time. It's a proper Italian restaurant.

Will give it a try...........can I charge it to you if it disappoints?

Please forward your card details on the secure forum server!!!.

But looking at the staff pics..........does not appear to be run by Italians once again!................I mean lets face it,you would not go to a Chinese restaurant not run by Chinese or an Indian restaurant run by Cowboys!!!

Definitely Italian roots...http://www.calabriacucina.co.uk/about-calabria.html

Not sure you have to "look" Italian to be able to cook good Italian food...

Definitely Italian roots...http://www.calabriacucina.co.uk/about-calabria.html

Not sure you have to "look" Italian to be able to cook good Italian food...

Agreed!...........but it's a good starting point that provides an air of reassurance, although I have been to some dud restaurants run by Italian looking types!

I am sending you my credit card details along with security code and PIN number Mossdog.

Obviously I'm not publishing it on here - but I'll send it in a PM. Do let me have yours by return - so I can charge you an introduction fee if you do like it! :) Are you ok with me signing you up to a few 'cultural' sites on the internet as well? And do you like Russian girls?:cool:

The Calabria place is "staffed" by some non-Italians but they do have Itai's working there and it's so called because it sources a lot of the stuff directly from Calabria in Italy. Try the local Calabrian wine - it's really good and not expensive. They will recommend you something good if you tell them what style of wine you like.

Along with Gusto in Sheffield, it's about the nearest thing you can get to a real authentic Italian place - really nice - I hope you try it and like it.

It's worth a trip.

(And no I don't work there - although I am told I look Italian - maybe due to the Roman nose - laurel headband, toga and sandals.:confused:

Agreed!...........but it's a good starting point that provides an air of reassurance, although I have been to some dud restaurants run by Italian looking types!

Iv'e never agreed with this theory...

"it must be a good Indian/Chinese restaurant because I saw loads of Indian/Chinese people eating there"

It's a bit like saying, "I went in an English restaurant last night and it must be good because there were loads of English people eating in there".

It's of little or no relevance imo.

I am sending you my credit card details along with security code and PIN number Mossdog.

Obviously I'm not publishing it on here - but I'll send it in a PM. Do let me have yours by return - so I can charge you an introduction fee if you do like it! :) Are you ok with me signing you up to a few 'cultural' sites on the internet as well? And do you like Russian girls?:cool:

The Calabria place is "staffed" by some non-Italians but they do have Itai's working there and it's so called because it sources a lot of the stuff directly from Calabria in Italy. Try the local Calabrian wine - it's really good and not expensive. They will recommend you something good if you tell them what style of wine you like.

Along with Gusto in Sheffield, it's about the nearest thing you can get to a real authentic Italian place - really nice - I hope you try it and like it.

It's worth a trip.

(And no I don't work there - although I am told I look Italian - maybe due to the Roman nose - laurel headband, toga and sandals.:confused:

Thanks for your quick response!...............will be trying both your recommendations.How much am I able to spend as I can't resist a gargle or too of fine Valpolicceli @£200 per bottle.

Any way will report back my findings.

Archived