Hate Crime Map of England

Today's Guardian has a "hate crime map" showing which area's of the country have the least/most amounts of hate crime. South Yorkshire (along with North Yorkshire) come bottom of the list (i.e. we have the least amount of reported hate crimes). Something I think we should all be proud of!

HATE CRIME, ENGLAND & WALES, 2011-12

South Yorkshire

496 hate crimes in 2011/12, 4.9 per 1,000 crimes

That compares to 11 per 1,000 crimes for England & Wales

In South Yorkshire police force area, that means there are 17.9 for every 100 police officers and 0.37 hate crimes per 1,000 population. To compare, the national figures are 32.4 and 0.8.

Does this prove that Sheffield is perhaps the most racially harmonious of the large cities? (I know hate crime includes things other than race and religion, but they make up the majority of the stats).

Of course, it could be other factors, maybe far fewer people are likely to complain in Sheffield (for whatever reason, perhaps they believe the police won't do anything?). Or maybe people are more likely to keep their views amongst themselves rather than lashing out?

I have to say, I've very rarely heard racial abuse being hurled at people (even at football matches), and I think the lack of any serious support for the BNP or other racist organisations in Sheffield backs the harmony theory. Although you wouldn't believe it looking at some of the threads on this forum over the years (although I believe that is due to the few shouting and ranting loudly and frequently rather than it being a large proportion of members).

Your thoughts?

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/interactive/2012/sep/13/hate-crime-map-england-wales

...Of course, it could be other factors, maybe far less people are likely to complain in Sheffield ...

... Or maybe people are more likely to keep their views amongst themselves rather than lashing out?

Well that raised a giggle :hihi:

I would have thought that you had been on SF long enough to know that neither of these are true!

Well that raised a giggle :hihi:

I would have thought that you had been on SF long enough to know that neither of these are true!

Ha! Yeah I meant complain to the police, rather than just complain in general. :hihi:

And, of course, there's a big difference between hiding behind a username on a forum and being a bigoted idiot compared to walking around your neighbourhood/city loudly announcing to all and sundry that you are a bigot (in that far fewer people are likely to do the latter).

In some parts of the country racist incidents are reported a lot more than in other parts but this doesn't mean they're more racist. It's usually places with the highest numbers of different races religions that have the most number reported because there are a lot more people who will be reporting such incidents.

It's a bit like saying more people eat from Asian restaurants and takeaways in Birmingham than in North Yorkshire so this proves people in Bimingham are more tolerant towards Asian food. When in actual fact there are many more Asian restaurants and takeaways in Birmingham which is the real reason why.

Basically the more people of different backgrounds the more chance for incidents to be reported as per 1000 of the population. This doesn't go any way to proving these areas are more intolerant they could be the opposite. I know it was reported in the Star a few years ago that a study found that people in Sheffield had the least confidence in the Police to deal with racist incidents as compared to other parts of the country. Also another study indicated that more rural less multi cultural areas were the most likely places where someone of non white appearance would be abused or attacked but because reported incidents will be much lower in such places it will appear as though they are tolerant and safe places.

Of course, it could be other factors, maybe far fewer people are likely to complain in Sheffield (for whatever reason, perhaps they believe the police won't do anything?). Or maybe people are more likely to keep their views amongst themselves rather than lashing out?

I don't see the need for such a caveat. If the statistical research is peer reviewed and the model robust, there is no need to undermine the results in this way. I understand why you did it though, you don't wish to be seen as wrong. This is in no way an insult to you as almost everyone does it, especially on forums such as this.

The stats show South Yorkshire is the second lowest for hate crimes in the UK behind North Yorkshire. This is reason enough to be proud, so lets not try to dilute it with nay saying :D

Well done South Yorkshire, you've overcome some pretty touch handicaps to score so well.

Archived