Electrical Advice?

Is there any electricians out there who can give me a bit of advice about the problems I'm having in my flat? When I plug anything in that generates heat - like a convection heater, an iron etc, the "live" pin on the 3-pin plug in the wall socket gets really hot... to the point of being a fire hazard! I only realized this when my covection heater plug got so hot that the wall socket began to melt! Also, my light bulbs go all the time - even the so-called "long-life" bulbs only last a couple of months - and when they go, they don't just pop when I flick the light switch on - they sort of explode, with a loud bang, the glass part of the bulb is blown out and just the metal bayonet collar left in the bulb holder socket. There's also quite a bit of black soot around the blown out bulb and the socket.

I know I'm going to have to get a qualified electrician out to sort this sooner rather than later, before I'm burnt to death in my bed, but I'm curious to know what might be causing this to happen - and more to the point, how big a job and how complicated a job would it be to put it right? I live in fear of a huge electricians bill.................

Is there any electricians out there who can give me a bit of advice about the problems I'm having in my flat? When I plug anything in that generates heat - like a convection heater, an iron etc, the "live" pin on the 3-pin plug in the wall socket gets really hot... to the point of being a fire hazard! I only realized this when my covection heater plug got so hot that the wall socket began to melt! Also, my light bulbs go all the time - even the so-called "long-life" bulbs only last a couple of months - and when they go, they don't just pop when I flick the light switch on - they sort of explode, with a loud bang, the glass part of the bulb is blown out and just the metal bayonet collar left in the bulb holder socket. There's also quite a bit of black soot around the blown out bulb and the socket.

I know I'm going to have to get a qualified electrician out to sort this sooner rather than later, before I'm burnt to death in my bed, but I'm curious to know what might be causing this to happen - and more to the point, how big a job and how complicated a job would it be to put it right? I live in fear of a huge electricians bill.................

I would live even more in fear of an electric blanket love if I were you!

Looking on the bright side though, cremation is better than burial, although it's better if you're dead first rather than just resting up.

It sounds to me like the hot plug problem could be caused by cheap sockets.

Are you using a proper wall socket and not an extension ?

Some extension sockets have lightweight connections which are not up to heating appliances.

If you have some poor quality wall sockets or faulty wall sockets you could have a similar problem.

As to the light problems, do you have bare light fittings or some kind of shade? Many shades or glasses do not provide enough ventilation to have a bulb that generates heat. Which is why some say max 40 watt etc..

It could be that the heat is due to increased resistance in the circuit. Anything which heats tends to draw a lot of current, so it could be your wiring, for instance, if someone has put lighting cable into the socket rings, or if there are a lot of spurs on the circuit, or it's a very long radial circuit.

You need to get it tested by an electrician.

Bad connection between plug and socket causing high resistance. Cheapo socket, cheapo plug, damaged plug, damaged socket, dirty pins on plug, bent recepticles in socket.

Most likely solvable by just replacing the damaged plugs and sockets - though your electrician may discover if the cable feeding the socket has been damaged.

It could be that the heat is due to increased resistance in the circuit. Anything which heats tends to draw a lot of current, ...

I don't want to complain about your contribution, but increased resistance would cause less heat. If the installer had used 1mm or 1.5mm lighting cable to connect sockets rather than 2.5mm socket cable, then I would not expect the plugs to get warm, the wiring in the walls would be dropping the voltage and warming up the walls along the whole of the run from the supply.

This fault will be caused by a bad connection in the terminal or a cheap socket with a weak connector which does not tightly hold onto the plug prong.

I supect the real reason for the plug heat will be arcing and sparking from a poor connection.

To the OP: Get an electrician to check it. It could be a number of things. An electrician wont charge the earth (pardon the pun) to check it out and let you know what is needed.

In my opinion, only the advice of a suitably qualified tradesmen should be trusted where life and limb are at risk.

I don't want to complain about your contribution, but increased resistance would cause less heat.

A case in point. Resistance creates heat (or light). Its the science behind what heats your kettle or lights your lamp.

Are you using a proper wall socket and not an extension ?

Some extension sockets have lightweight connections which are not up to heating appliances.

If you have some poor quality wall sockets or faulty wall sockets you could have a similar problem.

As to the light problems, do you have bare light fittings or some kind of shade? Many shades or glasses do not provide enough ventilation to have a bulb that generates heat. Which is why some say max 40 watt etc..[/

Well tha learns summat new every day, this has surprised me this,

Cant believe that lightbulbs need ventilation, but it does make sense .

Archived