Clubland revisited and where is whytey ?

mikeh

I started to surf the site hoping to learn news of an old ''turn" called Tony Whyte and found this goldmine of a site.

Back in the 60s,I played drums at Intake with Freda West,then onto Brinsworth with PHIL Freeman,Tony Warboys and then onto Tinsley with Iris Ward and then again Silverwood with Warboys finally winding up on Radio Sheff with Fleety and Alan,which then took me to the Fiesta (filling in for TC) AND RESIDENCY AT aquarius with BERNIE cLIFTON.

sOUTH yORKSHIRE CLUBS WERE THE BACKBONE OF many stars.I remember being drummer for Marti,Whytey,stu gillies and so many more on the road.Thanks y'all for putting names in the forum like Ron Delta,Johnny Duffy,Tinsley club,wincobank where I played for Don when Jock couldn't make it.eeeeeh happy days.I could write a book. mike hayes(still drummin"):clap::thumbsup:

Originally posted by mikeh

I started to surf the site hoping to learn news of an old ''turn" called Tony Whyte and found this goldmine of a site.

Back in the 60s,I played drums at Intake with Freda West,then onto Brinsworth with PHIL Freeman,Tony Warboys and then onto Tinsley with Iris Ward and then again Silverwood with Warboys finally winding up on Radio Sheff with Fleety and Alan,which then took me to the Fiesta (filling in for TC) AND RESIDENCY AT aquarius with BERNIE cLIFTON.

sOUTH yORKSHIRE CLUBS WERE THE BACKBONE OF many stars.I remember being drummer for Marti,Whytey,stu gillies and so many more on the road.Thanks y'all for putting names in the forum like Ron Delta,Johnny Duffy,Tinsley club,wincobank where I played for Don when Jock couldn't make it.eeeeeh happy days.I could write a book. mike hayes(still drummin"):clap::thumbsup:

tony whyte is still around although you only see him compering at charity events,i saw him twice early last year compering at the dial house,which has now closed,he used to live on infirmary rd at one time,if you want to contact him try contacting keith chapman at cee bee varieties:clap:

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum. I can remember Freda (and Jack her husband) However the most memorable part at Intake club were the pies served by a lovely lady called Sadie. Sadly the club is no more, it was converted to (I think) a nursing home.

:( I t really is a shame that all the clubs are closing down.I used to go to the "trades" to get the Our Clubs' and then make the rounds if I wasn't working or depping,Intake was a rarety with 8 shows a week.Most of my friends were "turns" so it was quite the thing then to pop in and catch 1 song here or a joke or two there.

I worked at the Ambassador the 4 weeks it was open ,putting three hours in there and a couple at the dragon and then maybe fill in for TC at the fiesta last thing (dance set) crumpet catcher as the lads called it.

• 6 years later...

I know it's an old thread but reported in Mercury that Tony Whyte had passed away on 29th April.Remember queuing to see him at local club.Then when he was compere at Fiesta I can still remember how immaculate he was turned out . Rip.

• 1 year later...

I know it's a while since this thread, but i was sadenned to hear of Tony's passing.

As a drummer i worked with him when he was top of the bill at the Sunshine Hotel in Jersey in the 70s. I was playing with Len Smith at the time and we backed him at one of the Sheffield football clubs events in 1977. Sorry i can't remember which club, I'm a Lancastrian after all.

When he returned from his stint in Jersey we spent some time with him in Woodseats; at the time we were in digs with Edie and Albert Rogers. we worked the clubs as Smiff 'n Bones (drums/organ/close harmony vocals) I can't tell you the number of times we were booked sunday lunchtimes to 'support' strippers!!, concert secys thought we were a comedy duo...........hey ho

I know many people knew Tony well, I wish I had done this research 2 years ago:-(

coq au vin???,bunk up in a dormobile!!!

john

Archived