Backup your data

If you don't already, then go and figure out how to back up your data.

There's another thread right now, someone has lost 5 years worth of photos (and probably other documents) due to a burglary, but it could have also been a power surge, a flood, a fire, etc...

So go and figure out your backup plan. Burn everything to DVD and hide them in the garage (in a fireproof box). Or copy it to a 2nd hard drive and leave it at a friends. That protects what you have right now.

Then when you've done that, think about some sort of scheduled backup, maybe using an online service (from google or microsoft or similar), that way nothing short of a planet wide disaster will destroy your photos.

I have just bought a Seagate Backup Plus 2.5 inch USB 3.0 1TB Portable Hard Drive for £75, and have to say it's absolutely fantastic. It's tiny, and needs no power supply, so just plugs in like a USB stick.

I've got all my documents saved, but I'm going to buy another one to keep at work.

Archived