Millions being penalised by the highest rents ever charged in Britain.

It's a Daily Mail property ramping piece. :rolleyes:

A mortgage might be cheap now but interest rates are super low. Won't stay that way for 25 years. There's property maintenance to factor in as well. Any at some point we'll have to have a property price correction so negative equity to factor in as well.

I agree and would much rather buy a cheaper house and pay higher interest, than an expensive house with low interest, it must be a worry at the moment having to buy an expensive house in the knowledge that interest rates can only go up.

And of course house prices themselves having increased by an average 168%. Rents are higher because house prices are much higher.

But as The Daily Express would tell you, that's a good thing.

JOY FOR HOMEOWNERS AS HOUSE PRICES START TO RISE

Odd how we never see a headline in the Express along the lines of "Shopper joy as food prices increase".

Or "Joy for gas consumers as prices rise".

The fact that the proprietor of the Express has a £500 million property portfolio might explain this strange attitude.

Ah! now I get it...................I wondered why we keep seeing headlines in the Express that property prices are set to increase/boom again.I was always suspicious,now I know why.

The problem with this country is that idiots cost us money, and fellow idiots stick up for them.

Wear and tear is a tax allowance. Trashing a property and breaking the tenancy agreement isn't. Finding a tenant costs money, and there are searches and credit checks. I paid a company to do this, but then it still doesn't stop a tenant passing the checks and then stopping the standing order 4 months down the line.

It is nothing to do with planning a business badly. As with any business there are idiots who cost you money, and every business has to pay money to cover the cost of the idiots.

You don't get it. It's your business. You're responsible for it. If you don't like the downsides of the business then get out of it and try a different one. Or get a better vetting agency. Or vet the tenants yourself.

The problem with this country is that idiots cost us money, and fellow idiots stick up for them.

Wear and tear is a tax allowance. Trashing a property and breaking the tenancy agreement isn't. Finding a tenant costs money, and there are searches and credit checks. I paid a company to do this, but then it still doesn't stop a tenant passing the checks and then stopping the standing order 4 months down the line.

It is nothing to do with planning a business badly. As with any business there are idiots who cost you money, and every business has to pay money to cover the cost of the idiots.

so why dont you sell up and not have the hassle ? :hihi:

If it's recognised that it's his business and that sometimes there will be costs to pay, then it's equally true that no one has a right to complain about the rate he charges, he's running a business not a charity and the market dictates what he can charge.

If it's recognised that it's his business and that sometimes there will be costs to pay, then it's equally true that no one has a right to complain about the rate he charges, he's running a business not a charity and the market dictates what he can charge.

Not a free market though.

Council housing rents have increased above inflation every year for a decade, by RPI +0.5% + up to £2 per week. They will increase by RPI+0.5% every year for the next 4 years. In quite a few areas they are now overtaking private rents!

Typical that they will increase rent but not carry out necessary repairs :loopy:

No, and I don't intend to either. Property is something that you occupy, you do not own it. And purchasing a freehold property is not property ownership, it is a form of tenure.

People should be free to build housing upon idle land - currently land is subsidised to the tune of £50 Bn per year in direct cash subsidy in the UK. People are paid for merely holding land and they leave it idle. This is completely wrong. There is plenty of idle land. Land should be taxed so that land is freed up for building etc.

If we continue to subsidise land ownership then we reinforce the unjust monopoly and is leads to land being used inefficiently, it creates a class system, severely harms economic development and leads to widespread poverty amongst the landless.

Seems to me that anyone who cannot pay the rent of a flat on a council housing estate has to be some kind of loser.

Archived