Millions being penalised by the highest rents ever charged in Britain.

Wonder how much it costs to rent say a 3 bed house in a reasonable are in a provincial city in Europe somewhere :confused: It would be interesting to compare

I have just done some quick research in to this and Ican tell you that a 1 room studio apartment with 28 m2 within local transport links to Tolouse, an industrial city, costs in the region on £350 - £450 per month.

A 2 bedroom property on the outskirts ( about 45mins to an hour travelling time) will cost in the region of £600 per month, however this is not in the suburbs, it is out in the sticks in most cases, normally farming communities.

I have only spent half hour looking at this and already can see that we fare quite well in the UK, considering French taxes, the cost of transport etc.

You want to be very careful calling people criminals so freely. I paid for the land I own. My parents didn't steal it, nor did I steal the money I used to buy it, and I certainly didn't steal that land when I paid a fair consideration for it.

Yet you consider that I'm a criminal merely for buying it and putting it to use? Like I said, I'd be very careful with that sort of take on things.

Possession of stolen goods is a crime.

Somebody could steal food from a farmer, you could then buy the food from the thief...

Do you think purchasing stolen goods is acceptable?

The fact that there are many factors affecting the market does not stop it being a free market. A free market doesn't have to exist in a vacuum.

I agree, however - the factors affecting the market are enforced via the government.

I disagree with I1L2T3 about the banks influence meaning the market is not free. They are just one of the equations that affects the market, they don't alter the fact that it is fundamentally free.
It isn't free.

And so prices stay high, we can see that affect in play.
In a free-market a price rise would signal builders to build more - more houses would be built and prices would fall.

If by the cost of building you mean including a reasonable profit for building companies and including the value of the land, then yes it would tend to that. In reality it does.
Builders should be able to make a profit - if there is demand for their product. The theft of the land is a wrong that must be righted. Selling stolen goods is a crime, the theft of the land was a crime and it still is one that has yet to be righted...

And within the restrictions that exist to stop people like you building on the green built or building shacks on the village green that is what happens.

Government interference???? Therefore not a freemarket!

Only in your dream world.

Come of it, basic dwelling units have been constructed for $300.

Nice detached houses can be built for £15k taking today's minimum wage of £6.08, even less if we do it for £2.60/hour.

If you want to make an argument that the CAP should be massively reformed or just scrapped then I'll completely agree with you.

Good.

You accept in this thread that land value is a factor in the cost of housing.

Do you accept that CAP payments distort land values?

Thus, do you accept that there is no freemarket in land and thus no freemarket in housing... ?

You make your argument about the idle rich and the stolen land, and then you flip back into hating landlords, most of whom are neither rich, idle or have inherited the properties they let. It strikes me that the small business landlord is simply an easy target for you hatred.

If a man builds a house and rents it out, in a market where others are free to build housing WITHOUT first paying rentiers of either currency or land, then I see no problem.

The problem is, this is not the case. There is monopoly, the market is rigged.

Archived