Why is the job climate so bad!

Ok, I have just been to an interview - everything went great and the interviewer said she would ring me the next day to tell me how I did and if I had got the job. The next day came, waited for the phone to ring but it never did. So, I went into the shop and asked my interviewer why she didn't contact me, she said rudely that "Oh, we decided you wasn't right for the job and with you having no experience, it was a waste of time taking you on" and walked away as if to say "and we can't be bothered to train you either"

Now, I do have experience in that type of work, but anyone could so it! its just putting cards on shelf's for a card shop!

With all the unemployment at the moment, you would have thought training would be the best thing to do, but no shops can be bothered and only take people on who have experience. But how can you get experience if no one will give you a chance?

The job centers are currently sending people to work temp jobs for £2 an hour! and only work for one or two hours a day! £4 won't even pay for tram or bus fare let alone food!

Can somebody tell me what went wrong in the job climate and why interviewers are so rude to people?

Ok, I have just been to an interview - everything went great and the interviewer said she would ring me the next day to tell me how I did and if I had got the job. The next day came, waited for the phone to ring but it never did. So, I went into the shop and asked my interviewer why she didn't contact me, she said rudely that "Oh, we decided you wasn't right for the job and with you having no experience, it was a waste of time taking you on" and walked away as if to say "and we can't be bothered to train you either"

Now, I do have experience in that type of work, but anyone could so it! its just putting cards on shelf's for a card shop!

With all the unemployment at the moment, you would have thought training would be the best thing to do, but no shops can be bothered and only take people on who have experience. But how can you get experience if no one will give you a chance?

The job centers are currently sending people to work temp jobs for £2 an hour! and only work for one or two hours a day! £4 won't even pay for tram or bus fare let alone food!

Can somebody tell me what went wrong in the job climate and why interviewers are so rude to people?

There are millions of unemployed people with some kind of work experience, and there will never be enough jobs for everyone, you have to give a business a very good reason to employ you instead of one of the other candidates that will probably have more experience. It’s a catch 22, to get the job you need experience and to get experience you need a job, this is why many people end up working for free just to get experience.

Its frustrating, I hate it when they don't bother to let you know they don't want you.

I know they probably get a bunch of applicants for jobs, so can understand not responding to everyone.

However if they decided you warranted an interview/meeting the least they could do its let you know.

Its frustrating, I hate it when they don't bother to let you know they don't want you.

I know they probably get a bunch of applicants for jobs, so can understand not responding to everyone.

However if they decided you warranted an interview/meeting the least they could do its let you know.

I'm afraid it's not a new thing. I remember years ago when jobs were (I was going to say plentifull) easier to get. Employers even back then still didn't bother to let you know.

I remember going for one particular job, for which I was highly qualified. The interview was about 2 hours, and I was taken around and introduced to everyone I would be working with, and it seemed it was a mere formality in getting the job! But I never heard a word from them from that day to this!...very odd.

So in short, it's not a new phenomena.

There are millions of unemployed people with some kind of work experience, and there will never be enough jobs for everyone, you have to give a business a very good reason to employ you instead of one of the other candidates that will probably have more experience. It’s a catch 22, to get the job you need experience and to get experience you need a job, this is why many people end up working for free just to get experience.

Its ironic isn't it that many young folks were turning to work experience placings to let potential employers see that they were willing to get out of bed and could turn up on time. But most of the companies who participated were accused of employing slave labour and pulled out. So now willing youngsters have to take their chances alongside those who's backs won't get off the bed.

I know a young man who has been offered an internship, working for free for 6 months in order to get experience. Can anyone tell me how this works? If he works for free, how is he supposed to live? Can he still claim Jobseekers, housing benefit etc? The internship is in London so I think it will cost a fair bit to get a flat and food, transport etc, is there no allowance at all towards this?

I know a young man who has been offered an internship, working for free for 6 months in order to get experience. Can anyone tell me how this works? If he works for free, how is he supposed to live? Can he still claim Jobseekers, housing benefit etc? The internship is in London so I think it will cost a fair bit to get a flat and food, transport etc, is there no allowance at all towards this?

I think the problem of internships is the minimum wage. If you pay someone you have a minimum you can pay regardless of what contribution they make. So gaining work experience usually means working for nothing. However if you are not being paid you aren't in paid work.

Archived