The Village Beneath The Dam

SputnikBoy

I've got a few pics of it being built, Will scan them later and post them.

My cousin has wrote books on the building of it, think I've got one of them laying about somewhere if I can find it I'll scan some of the pics when I get back. ..or you could try a search on google Vic Hallam Silent Valley.

Using old photos from the internet, I've tried to put together a few 'Then and Now' pictures of Bolehill Quarry near Grindleford. All the stone for the Howden, Derwent and later the Ladybower dams came from here, transported by rail to the sites. The first photo was previously posted by Labyrinth.

BoleHill1.jpg

The weight of the laden wagons pulled the empties back up to the quarry, the loco shunted the full wagons to the main line.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BottomofBowlHillQuarryTramway.jpg

The same view recentely from the Sheffield to Manchester railway line, just north of Grindleford tunnel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Halfwayuplookingup.jpg

The same view from roughly where the wagon is on the left hand track

BoleHillquarrywindingdrum.jpg

This photo is at the top of the hill or inclined plane, seen in the first picture. The two wagons were connected by a cable that passed around the brake drum. The drum sat on some large stone blocks that are still there. To the left is the railway cutting that leads to the main quarry area.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BowlHillQuarryAlanatWindingDrumB-1.jpg

The same view in 2006. Behind the stone blocks can be seen the bank under which the two locomotives were stood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topofquarrytramway.jpg

Looking from where the brake drum stood to the brow of the hill in the first picture.

Tramwaywindingdrumbase.jpg

The stone blocks that supported the drum.

Truly fascinating photos cat631 which really capture my imagination.

The hill certainly looks steeper in the black and white photos. The engineering required to build these huge dam walls never fails to astound me especially when one considers how long ago they were built.

Is there a map of the railway line which took the stone to the site of the dam walls? Is, for example, the main road off the A57 which takes you up to Howden and Derwent the original railway line or was that lower down and now hidden beneath the depths of Ladybower Reservoir? Can one walk along what was the original railway line?

Again, thanks for these great photographs.

• 3 weeks later...

It was a popular pursuit back in the day: evicting hundreds of families from their homes and flooding their villages. Nobody questioned the authorities back then, but I'd like to see them try it now! Mind you, all the villages are full of well-heeled folks now, who have friends and influence people, so the idea would never be mooted.

Thruscross reservoir, up near Otley, North of Leeds, also has a village underneath it (Thruscross). The road which ran through the village descends into the water at one side of the lake, and emerges on the other side.

It was a popular pursuit back in the day: evicting hundreds of families from their homes and flooding their villages. Nobody questioned the authorities back then, but I'd like to see them try it now! Mind you, all the villages are full of well-heeled folks now, who have friends and influence people, so the idea would never be mooted.

Thruscross reservoir, up near Otley, North of Leeds, also has a village underneath it (Thruscross). The road which ran through the village descends into the water at one side of the lake, and emerges on the other side.

Interesting. Any photographs available?

Archived