The Village Beneath The Dam

SputnikBoy

After the Great War (1918), when my grandfather was invalided out of service (due to lung damage from gas), his doctors advised plenty of fresh air! So him & his brother bought a smallholding between the two villages, the plan being to farm chickens! Of course , his rehabilitation ended when the fresh air became fresh water!

With regard to the tunnels & overflow, I remember a school trip to Derwent where we got to go down into the wall itself. The overflow pipe drops straight down to the bottom where there is an L-bend. The noise down there is deafening!

Mr Squirel , TUNNELS , please tell more you have undivided attention , as for the overflows that is what scared me as a child , it made a massive noise

Dr Foster, read post 57 (on page 3 of this thread) and posts 82 and 90 both on page 5......interesting stuff :thumbsup:

lol, I've definetly had nightmares about them overflow holes. Anything like that, generally involving deep water and holes scares me.Regarding a previous post, I have also heard that there is still cement in the centre of the dam that hasn't set yet. It's all fascinating stuff.

There are some lovely and interesting pictures of the overflow 'plugs' on Google Earth. If you home right in on Ladybower you can select numerous photographs - so if you feel a bit scared, go on, scare yourself some more!

The one at the roadside looks more impressive than its poor cousin across the other side of the wall. The latter one looks quite pathetic, rubbish and debris clinging onto the edge for dear life in the hope it doesn't get sucked down in the dark, wet void beneath!

And I like the little bouys which are there to warn anglers and other folk in boats on the water of the big, big, dangers ahead.

I think I'm beginning to frighten myself here!!

As I mentioned earlier, when the reservoir was officially opened by the King and Queen, there was a stone arched walkway which circumnavigated the plug-hole (the one near the Bamford Road). This can be clearly seen in numerous photographs.

I would have loved to have had the opportunity to walk round the plug-hole and look right down it - and yes, I'd probably have been bricking myself!!

Superb piece of engineering and when one stands beneath Ladybower reservoir wall one has two thoughts:

1 - Am I safe here? and

2 - Just how do they mow that grass?:hihi:

I did actually mow the dam wall at Ladybower whilst working for Severn Trent, it'll be 20 years ago now, 2 other chaps and myself cut it with all wheel drive industrial mowers & strimmers, when you got closer to the top the angle became steeper, it would have been a lot easier had I got cloven feet, I daresay It could be done now since the wall was raised in the angle was made even steeper.

Nostalgia, it's a thing of the past

• 2 weeks later...

A few photos of the railway track used for the construction of the Howden, Derwent and later the Ladybower dams.

DSCN5579.jpg

DSCN5391.jpg

A then and now picture of of the railway line between Bamford and Ladybower, the bridge abutment is behind the trees in the middle of the photo. The lane is called Carr Lane and runs from The Yorkshire Bridge to Thornhill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSCN5393.jpg

Looking along the trackbed towards Ladybower, it is now a pleasant and easily walked footpath.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSCN5397.jpg

Taken from the west end of the Ladybower embankment, the end of the railway trackbed can just be seen to the left of the tree in the middle of the photo.

DSCN5581.jpg

The train is heading towards Derwent across a temporary viaduct over the Ashop Valley.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DSCN5401.jpg

DSCN5385.jpg

Both photos show the Glossop end of the Ladybower viaduct, the train was heading towards the trees.

Archived