The Village Beneath The Dam

SputnikBoy

Aaah right! :D thank you for the explanation.

And thank you for a correction to my written English!!

Though I feel sure that a law or regulation exist which stipulates, the minimum amount or volume that must be released or maintained to be released.

During the drought some years ago, I believe that the water authorities had to claim for a temporary dispensation from this regulation.

And thank you for a correction to my written English!!

Though I feel sure that a law or regulation exist which stipulates, the minimum amount or volume that must be released or maintained to be released.

During the drought some years ago, I believe that the water authorities had to claim for a temporary dispensation from this regulation.

the drought of 1976, is that, Albert?

I didn't realise that there had to be this minimum amount released etc. I thought that the engineers built the wall of the dam, and the dam filled up, and that was that.

I remember about 1995, we were driving over the Snake Pass (I think) and I remember seeing the reservoirs with hardly anything in them, just huge mud-flats, really, with a trickle of water running through them. It was quite disconcerting to see.

the drought of 1976, is that, Albert?

I didn't realise that there had to be this minimum amount released etc. I thought that the engineers built the wall of the dam, and the dam filled up, and that was that.

I remember about 1995, we were driving over the Snake Pass (I think) and I remember seeing the reservoirs with hardly anything in them, just huge mud-flats, really, with a trickle of water running through them. It was quite disconcerting to see.

When the Water authorities were privatised the,' compensation water was a problem '. Private companies were being told something alien to their nature. Which was to throw away a profitable product that was intended to be sold.

I've asked, but never been answered,' If the amount of compensation water now released is equal to that which was previously released before privatisation and does it include a estimate of the water volume now saved, but which was leaking out of the old pipework that is now being repaired or replaced. The funding for this coming from the substantially increased water rate paid by most households and bussnessess

Will the Water Rates be substantially reduced once the pipework as been repaired and leaks stopped ? Because all the extra water saved will be sold at 100% nett profit this coming about by the extra payments levied in the Water Rates.

When the Water authorities were privatised the,' compensation water was a problem '. Private companies were being told something alien to their nature, Which was to throw away a profitable product which is intended to be sold.

I've asked but never been told,' If the amount of compensation water now released equal to that which was previously released before privatisation and does it include a estimate of the water volume now saved but which was leaking out of the old pipework which are now being repaired, the funding coming from the substantial increased water rate we all now pay ? '

Will the Water Rates be substantially reduced once the pipework ask been repaired? All the extra water saved will be 100% Profit for the private companies balance sheets, which we all of us have paid indirectly to achieve.

water rates? reduced?

hehehehehehe.... You jest.... no?

my mother used to comment on this. At our local chippy, the price would go up for the third time in a month and the man who owned the chippy would say "ah, it's cos the price of spuds has gone up, again"

To which my mother said, quick as a wink:- "Yeah but I'll bet you any money your chip- prices won't fall when the prices of spuds will fall again!

The tunnel from the River Noe enters near where the River Ashop first enters the reservoir, along the Snake Road, anglers refer to it as "The Gusher".

I've never seen it but now I'll have a trip and have a look.

Do you know if anyone as ever walked through it or is it too small and well gridded for safety.

In the early nineteen thirties Brown Baileys were thinking on the lines of building a steel mill in Edale. This would have ensured readily available, clean cooling water for the steel.

I'm almost sure that a tunnel was also constructed at that time.

The water running the opposite way, from the bottom of Alport/Ashopton Dale to a collection point built in Edale.

I've never been able to find out very much more.

I've never seen it but now I'll have a trip and have a look.

Do you know if anyone as ever walked through it or is it too small and well gridded for safety.

In the early nineteen thirties Brown Baileys were thinking on the lines of building a steel mill in Edale. This would have ensured readily available, clean cooling water for the steel.

I'm almost sure that a tunnel was also constructed at that time.

The water running the opposite way, from the bottom of Alport/Ashopton Dale to a collection point built in Edale.

I've never been able to find out very much more.

It isn't large enough to stand up in and I'm not exactly sure how long it is. I expect you could crawl through it - if you were mad enough.

There is a date on a cover 194?, I forget, I haven't fished up there for a few years now, but I've read somewhere that the water from the Noe was diverted in 1951.

If I remember correctly, it's about 4ft in diameter - isn't it funny, I've fished beside it on numerous occasions and never taken much notice.

It isn't large enough to stand up in and I'm not exactly sure how long it is. I expect you could crawl through it - if you were mad enough.

There is a date on a cover 194?, I forget, I haven't fished up there for a few years now, but I've read somewhere that the water from the Noe was diverted in 1951.

If I remember correctly, it's about 4ft in diameter - isn't it funny, I've fished beside it on numerous occasions and never taken much notice.

You make me realise how many years past and think of how much water must have gone,' over the Overflow or out of the Pipe '. When you mention the 1951 bit, never mind the 194?. The raising of the over-flows actually increased substantially the volume retained in the dam, I'm sure that somewhere how many million gallon extra are retained will be available.

I rode past the over-flow whilst it was being raised in the early fifties whilst doing my cycling almost every day. A normal run would take me up the Snake over to Glossop then on to Hayfield, Mam-Tor, Castleton, Bamford and back over Moscar and Rivelin or Strines & Bradfield to Malin Bridge.

So I must have cycled past both sites whilst they were being built.

One regret that I have is that Digital Photography was not available then.

A tip to anyone. Take photographs of what is being altered and what the alterations finally look like, then save them onto a CD-Rom or Memory Stick, stating what they are with as much information as posible. Some one not yet born will learn from the photographs. Once things are altered, they are gone for ever, but provided the picture is in focus, someone else can always use the computer to enhance it.

Using the camera on auto solves most problems.

I'll see if I can find more information about the Tunnel and overflow then come back unless someone else wishes to get in first?

• 1 year later...
You make me realise how many years past and think of how much water must have gone,' over the Overflow or out of the Pipe '. When you mention the 1951 bit, never mind the 194?. The raising of the over-flows actually increased substantially the volume retained in the dam, I'm sure that somewhere how many million gallon extra are retained will be available.

I rode past the over-flow whilst it was being raised in the early fifties whilst doing my cycling almost every day. A normal run would take me up the Snake over to Glossop then on to Hayfield, Mam-Tor, Castleton, Bamford and back over Moscar and Rivelin or Strines & Bradfield to Malin Bridge.

So I must have cycled past both sites whilst they were being built.

One regret that I have is that Digital Photography was not available then.

A tip to anyone. Take photographs of what is being altered and what the alterations finally look like, then save them onto a CD-Rom or Memory Stick, stating what they are with as much information as posible. Some one not yet born will learn from the photographs. Once things are altered, they are gone for ever, but provided the picture is in focus, someone else can always use the computer to enhance it.

Using the camera on auto solves most problems.

I'll see if I can find more information about the Tunnel and overflow then come back unless someone else wishes to get in first?

You can't keep Albert down, even when he's no longer with us, a very good poster sadly missed.

hi, is there any1 on here who is related or knows any people with the surnames of walker or ibbotson who lived around derwent or ashopton or surroundding areas

Dont know if it is of any help:I recall that a father and son named Walker lived near Derwent,They had something to do with groceries in Sheffield.The son was Stanley Walker (Capt.RNVR)THis was late 1950's early 60's.)

Archived