The Village Beneath The Dam

SputnikBoy

DSCN3810.jpg

Ladybower Reservoir. The opening ceremony performed by H.M. King George V1 and Queen Elizabeth in 1945.

This is a photograph of a photograph and the flash reflected in the glass. The building in the middle is no longer there and hillside behind is now covered with trees.

Just found the image here in this guys,website at the bottom of the page.

http://derwentdigitalimaging.co.uk/Ashoptonderwentincolour.aspx

I think there are some pictures of the village on picture sheffield.

Was it called derwent village? my grandmother before she sadly passed on had some amazing photo's taken in her friends garden and around the village as she lived there. she even had a rose pressed and dried from her friend, it was one of the last ones she picked before they were all re-homed, my grandmother told me that her friend was hartbroken about leaving her little cottage . Not sure where the photos are now I will ask my father if he knows next time I see him.

Roughly about 8 years ago the water levels were low enough to enable me to walk down to some of the ruins allthough they were no more than foundations and prehaps a few layers of brick. I remember peering down into what I think was the cellar of a large building with a large wall round it and seeing that it was full of water. I could just picture the little bits and bobs left behind in there to be forever under the water that was lapping at the top few steps . I found it to be quite spooky walking round the ruins of the submrged village where so many people must have been very happy

the Village was called Ashupton

• 2 weeks later...
the Village was called Ashupton

Hi

I don't think it was Ashopton that you walked around. Ashopton is located on the southern side of Ashopton Viaduct at the Sheffield end.

When the viaduct was built and Ladybower filled the village was 135ft down beneath the water.

Over the years sediment has reduced this to the point that the remains of Ashopton are now well and truly covered with silt. The only way Ashopton will ever be seen again is if Ladybower is emptied and the silt bulldozed away.

The only one out of the two submerged villages that sees the light is Derwent when Ladybower is low.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello, I am currently researching for a documentary about the lost villages of Derwent and Ashopton that were drowned under the Ladybower reservoir. I was just wondering if anyone had any information to give me, or knew of anyone who would be willing to talk to me about this project? I would be very grateful for any help that you could offer me. Would anyone be willing to go on camera to speak about their experiences? Thank you

• 2 years later...

Great thread, really fascinating stuff.

I'm working on a play with a global theatre company about people displaced by environmental changes, and I'd be really grateful if there was anyone willing to talk about their memories of Derwent or Ashopton (or any community that met a similar fate). it would be amazing if anyone knew of any surviving former inhabitants, or their descendants who'd heard stories or descriptions passed down from their relatives.

Finally, any legends or myths or folklore about lost communities or the environment in general (even things like still hearing the bell toll) would be brilliant.

Thanks for at least taking the time to read this, I really appreciate it.

Patrick

---------- Post added 27-02-2014 at 13:22 ----------

You can private message me or email me, and any tidbits - no matter how small -are welcome!

Archived