The Village Beneath The Dam

SputnikBoy

I went up to Derwent Valley this afternoon.

All three reservoirs were very full, but only Howden was going over the wall (and that had happened within a couple of hours of me arriving).

I wandered around up at the head of Howden, up to Slippery Stones, back to King's Tree. Then I parked up at Birchinlee and had a good look round, taking photos. I was dead chuffed to find the exact (ho, ho) location of the Post Office (across the road and on the first earth terrace from the Derwent Canteen cellar). My great grandmother (Alice Maria Blagg) was assistant to the Post Mistress there when she was a lass.

Have a look at my WebShots page: Djelibeybi's Derwent Valley photos

Part of my family used to live at Derwent and my gradnmother used to tell many a tale of life there when she visited her relations. From what I understand there were a number of closely knit families who lived in the valley.

Near Fairhomes there is a memorial to a sheepdog which stayed with its dead master for 16 weeks one winter. The shepherd concerned was a distant relative of mine. Are there any others on here who are related to families from the valley?

Near Fairhomes there is a memorial to a sheepdog which stayed with its dead master for 16 weeks one winter. The shepherd concerned was a distant relative of mine. Are there any others on here who are related to families from the valley?

That sheepdog was called Tip apparently. The devotion that dog showed to his master always gives me a lump in my throat.

As far as I know so far, I'm not related to anyone who lived in the now flooded sections of Derwent Valley. I assume my great grandmother resided at Birchinlee whilst she was working with the Post Mistress, but she was from Sheffield.

My dad can still remember his uncle Ken delivering fruit and veg to a shop in Ashopton before it was flooded. My great uncle Ken Newbould used to own the greengrocers at 3 Retford Road, Handsworth around the time of the Second World War. My dad and his twin brother were born in the flat above it in 1941.

Part of my family used to live at Derwent and my gradnmother used to tell many a tale of life there when she visited her relations. From what I understand there were a number of closely knit families who lived in the valley.

You can still see the foundations of my grandma and grandads farmhouse when the ladybower water is low.

so I'm not expecting to see em for a while now!!!

For anyone wanting to learn more about the reservoirs and the villages they now hide, I recommend the book "Silent Valley" by my fellow Bamfordite Vic Hallam - some fantastic stories and pictures in there.

As for Tip - there is a perfect example of why you should laugh loudly in the face of anyone who says a cat is a better pet than a dog.

"Tip" was the name of the dog - I have a black and white picture of the memorial I took a long time ago.

This one..... tip.jpg

My grandfather was involved in raising the money for the memorial and I've seen a video of when it was erected and he was at the "unveiling ceremony"..

....... "For anyone wanting to learn more about the reservoirs and the villages they now hide, I recommend the book "Silent Valley" by my fellow Bamfordite Vic Hallam - some fantastic stories and pictures in there."

I agree, the book "Silent Valley" is a definate must for anyone interested in this thread.

• 2 months later...

Archived