Millions of modified and classic cars could be banned from the roads

Its a lie. See here for details

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/none-of-newspapers-checked-facts-with.html?m=1

Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.

The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.

Don't let the facts stop some people from getting paranoid about "barmy bureaucrats" etc etc :hihi:

Was also covered a couple of weeks ago here:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1041042

You can thank the EU "shambles" for our cleaner beaches, seas and rivers, to name but one thing.

So it would not have been possible for us to just do those things anyway, with the £millions we give the EU everyday?

Its a lie. See here for details

http://tabloid-watch.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/none-of-newspapers-checked-facts-with.html?m=1

Reports in the press that the European Commission has proposed to make modifications to cars illegal, or to ban classic cars unless they are unchanged since manufacture are entirely wrong.

The Commission’s proposals would not, if agreed by the Member States and the European Parliament, make any difference to the current situation regarding MOT testing in the UK except to make most classic cars more than 30 years old exempt from testing if they are not used day-to-day on the roads.

That was another aspect I'd heard, that classics would be exempt from MOT, which would be concerning in itself.

That was another aspect I'd heard, that classics would be exempt from MOT, which would be concerning in itself.

they are introducing mot exemption for the very old classics, its already happened/happening.

quite crazy when you think about it, not every owner knows how to ensure their old classic is roadworthy and safe although many of course do.

This point has been argued on here before. Owners of classic cars are more likely to keep their vehicles in pristine condition so they'll be less of a worry in fact.

Yes I know they're well looked after and do low annual mileage, but I also know a lot are owner maintained by amateurs who are not pro mechanics and also do their own mods/build kits etc. Not sure what's wrong with how things are to be honest.

Archived