Relations of Alice Eyre nee Biggins

Woodie68

If there is anyone out there with any information about Alice 1879-1941, her husband John Eyre 1882-1946 last known address in 1928 was 28 Otley Street, Sheffield. To my knowledge they had 5 sons - John 1901-1971, Gilbert 1904-1966, William 1906-1918, Albert 1909-1972 and David 1920-1984.

I know David married a Kathleen Smith and they had a son called Kevin Eyre b.1846, last known address was Southey Drive. I think Kevin possibly married someone called Sandra Oates but that's not definite.

Please can anyone help because I'm hoping someone may have some knowledge relating to Alice's grandfather John Biggins! :help:

Just in case you haven't already seen this on Sheffield Indexers, here are the records of school entry:

Eyre, Albert (Student, dob 29 Jun 1908).

Parent or guardian name(s): John Henry (~), of 74 Mushroom Lane.

Admitted to St Stephens C of E Boys School, Upperthorpe, as of 24 Aug 1914,

until ~, reason for leaving: ~. Previously attended St Stephens Infants.

Eyre, John Hy. (Student, dob 29 Oct 1901).

Admitted to Lancasterian Special School, Shalesmoor, Sheffield, as of 09 Mar 1914, readmitted 12 Oct 1914

until 30 Sep 1921, reason for leaving: Over age. Previously attended Lancasterian Spec..

Eyre, William (Student, dob 23 Feb 1906).

Parent or guardian name(s): ~ (~), of 74 Mushroom Lane.

Admitted to St Stephens C of E Boys School, Upperthorpe, as of 08 Oct 1912,

until ~, reason for leaving: ~. Previously attended Philadelphia.

Regards,

Duffems

I can confirm that Kevin D. Eyre, born Jul-Sep 1946, married Sandra Oates in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1968, but unfortunately the trail then runs cold, as I couldn't find any likely children, nor can Kevin and Sandra be identified in recent census returns. "John Henry Eyre Snr" was still at 28 Otley Street at the time of the 1942 Kelly's Directory.

Just in case you haven't already seen this on Sheffield Indexers, here are the records of school entry:

Eyre, Albert (Student, dob 29 Jun 1908).

Admitted to St Stephens C of E Boys School, Upperthorpe, as of 24 Aug 1914,

until ~, reason for leaving: ~. Previously attended St Stephens Infants.

Eyre, John Hy. (Student, dob 29 Oct 1901).

Admitted to Lancasterian Special School, Shalesmoor, Sheffield, as of 09 Mar 1914, readmitted 12 Oct 1914

until 30 Sep 1921, reason for leaving: Over age. Previously attended Lancasterian Spec..

Eyre, William (Student, dob 23 Feb 1906).

Parent or guardian name(s): ~ (~), of 74 Mushroom Lane.

Admitted to St Stephens C of E Boys School, Upperthorpe, as of 08 Oct 1912,

until ~, reason for leaving: ~. Previously attended Philadelphia.

Regards,

Duffems

Thanks for that, I did find that information. I'm just trying to find someone still living who might know something about their great grandfather John Biggins.

Thanks for confirming the marriage. I used to know Kevin when we were children but lost touch and thought he may be able to provide some information but I think he must have possibly emigrated or something.

Regards Woodie68

Hi there, thankyou for your reply. There are quite a few Eyres around but I don't think I have any Colins in my tree. Whereabouts did Colin originate, was it Sheffield itself or Wortley. Alice was born Alice Biggins and she died in 1941 so without any more information from yourself I couldn't hazard a guess, but thankyou for getting back to me

Wendy

Hi Lobster,

Thanks for your messages. I don't think John was Scottish, more Irish if anything. According to his son James' marriage certificate his father's name was John Biggins, cutler. James' baptism record shows his parents as John Biggins and Rebecca Boyle, unfortunately we cannot find a birth registered for James, only his younger brother who died, but safe to say his father was John and according to John and Rebecca's marriage cert. John's father's name was James Biggins, cutler.

I don't know if I'm on the right track, but an Alice Biggin was born in Sheffield in Jul-Sep 1979, and a one year-old Alice Biggin turns up in the 1881 census. living with her parents James, 33 and Emma, 34 at 16ct 9 Portobello. A James Biggins can be found in the 1851 census with his parents John, a 31 year-old, Norton-born file cutter and Elizabeth, also 31. A John Biggin was christened at Norton on 6 February 1820, his parents being John and Elizabeth. They turn up at Norton in the 1841 census, with their seven children including John, 21. John Snr and Elizabeth can also be found in the 1851 census, still at Norton. A John Biggin was christened at Norton on 6 March 1796.

Archived