Relations of Alice Eyre nee Biggins

Woodie68

I don't know about the Alice Biggin in 1979 but the Alice Biggin with James and Emma is the one I have been referring to, she married John Henry Eyre.

Unfortunately all the other John Biggins and James Biggins, including the baptisms have been excluded. I did think I had the correct one because John Biggins b.1826 Woodseats, Norton, Cutler and whose father was James ended up a "red herring" when I discovered him married to a Jane living in Pond Street, when my John was married to Rebecca, so that went flat, unless of course he was living 2 lives!

I don't know about the Alice Biggin in 1979...
Oops... I meant 1879 of course. Anyway the Alice Biggins in the 1881 census with parents James and Emma is evidently the right one. Ten years earlier James and Emma turn up as a married couple, lodging in Ellen Street. A James Biggins married an Emma Shaw in Sheffield in 1866, and a James Biggins of the right age turns up in the 1861 census as the "son in law" (perhaps stepson is meant) of Henry Cooper, Henry's wife being Rebecca.

Hi Hillsbro,

You've got it in one. Alice married John Henry Eyre so she became Alice Eyre. I just wonder if there are any of her sons, or grandchildren around who may have a knowledge of their great grandfather John Biggins because I've lost him. Can't find a birth or death for him. Ruled out every John Biggins b.1826 in the Sheffield area with a father called James.

A kind person from Sheffield Indexers has forwarded me an Irish baptism which I am now incling to, I wish I could find James Biggins b.1847 (Alice's father) in the 1851 census, that would possible answer a few questions.

Thanks for your input

Woodie68

• 4 months later...

Not sure that this will help find more about Alice Eyre, however, there are a number of posts that mention Kevin David Eyre.

I can bring everyone in the thread up to date on Kevin (a first cousin - as I am a grandson of John Henry Eyre).

Kevin died last week and his cremation is at Alford Crematorium near Skegness where he lived for the past 7 years or more.

I found this thread whilst writing his Eulogy for the service tomorrow 11.00am on 30.1.13.

Hi Lipsko, I am so sorry to hear of Kevin's death, he wasn't as old as me! You say he was a 1st cousin and grandson to John Henry Eyre, my connection is through your granddad's wife Alice. She was the sister of my granddad who unfortunately was killed in WW1 so I never knew him. I am desperately trying to find out if any family member had any papers, memorabilia, photos etc. of Alice's grandfather John Biggins. It is a long shot but I haven't anything else to go on. I think he possibly came over from Ireland but not sure. Do you know anything at all that may help me? Have you done a family tree or have any other members of your family. I have a tree if you wish to look at it. Let me know and I'll give you the web address.

Once more please accept my condolences regarding Kevin, hope everything went okay at the funeral today.

Wendy Wood nee Biggins

Hi Woodie

A little confusion along the line somewhere:

Alice 1879-1941 and her husband John Eyre would have been my Great Grandparents. My grandad was John Henry Eyre (JH) 1901-1971. I only knew of Gilbert 1904-1966 and Albert 1909-1972 by name and have met some of their families in past years but not recently. My Grandma was called Antonia and I think she died in the 70s.

Unfortunately my knowledge of JH is extremely minimal and I can't go as far back to Alice who you ask about.

The only living person I know that might have known Alice is my uncle Bill (eldest son of JH) but he is now in a home with Dementia - so no help there I'm afraid.

The funeral of Kevin went very well thank you. It was a mix of laughter and sadness. Just as Kevin would have wanted.

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for getting back to me. Sorry I didn't mean your granddad, I realise I missed the great off! As I said I thought it was a long shot but sometimes families pass on photos and papers through the generations. In case you can't place my position within your family, I am your mum's 2nd cousin, making us 3rd cousins I suppose. It's a pity I didn't start researching my family tree when I was a lot younger and I may have found some answers but I will find out eventually, it took me 12 years to find out how my granddad, your great grandma's brother James William Biggins got the DCM in WW1 where he also lost his life. I suppose it is a big ask when it is HIS grandfather I'm trying to track down! My research on the family tree is quite extensive now if you want to know anything please feel free to ask, I'll endeavour to find the answer for you.

Wendy

Hi Wendy

A senior moment no doubt.

How far down the tree are you going...

I can extend to the current family of John Henry as I am still in contact with most of my cousins...

Let me know if this would be helpful.

I am sure though. that none of the cousins would go back to Alice.

We new very little of JH as the family pretty much disowned him so we would not have asked...

I have just acquired the photgraphs from Kevins estate but I have no idea what there is and who they might be and how far back they go. It will be some time before I get the opportunity to sift through them.

Andrew

Hi there, thankyou for your reply. There are quite a few Eyres around but I don't think I have any Colins in my tree. Whereabouts did Colin originate, was it Sheffield itself or Wortley. Alice was born Alice Biggins and she died in 1941 so without any more information from yourself I couldn't hazard a guess, but thankyou for getting back to me

Wendy

Must be a different family.My late fathers half sister was born Alice Eyre.My grandfather married twice,he had two children to his first wife,Reg and Alice,then his second wife my grandmother,Martha,they had four children,my father Colin and my uncles and aunts.Douglas,Hilda and Joan.I'm pretty sure they were from stocksbridge but could be wrong.

I see from your profile you are in Lytham St Annes.I live in Kirkham,came here from Sheffield in 1975.

Regards and good luck with the search.

Colin Eyre jnr.

Archived