Another teenager stabbed in London

I started this topic as i want to discuss why most gun and knife crimes (that are in any case reported in the news) are committed by black people

Let's do that then.

Why do you think that this happens?

Let's do that then.

Why do you think that this happens?

Well from my own personal point of view i think it is down to lack of education and well for a better word Ghetto culture.

Where if you haven't got anything you think its ok to join a gang to take of others, gang culture seems to have come over from the states and jamaica and on to our streets within the last say 20 years.

These days from what i can tell it is definitely west African/ Afro Carribean issue, ok you get white gangs but the majority seems to be black

Well from my own personal point of view i think it is down to lack of education and well for a better word Ghetto culture.

Where if you haven't got anything you think its ok to join a gang to take of others, gang culture seems to have come over from the states and jamaica and on to our streets within the last say 20 years.

These days from what i can tell it is definitely west African/ Afro Carribean issue, ok you get white gangs but the majority seems to be black

There is a better correlation between this sort of crime and gender. There is also a strong correlation between social class and knife crime. It is a bit of a shame that you've dressed it up as a race thing.

It is really a poor male thing.

There is a better correlation between this sort of crime and gender. There is also a strong correlation between social class and knife crime. It is a bit of a shame that you've dressed it up as a race thing.

It is really a poor male thing.

Ok maybe i have made it seem like a race thing.

And you are most likely right that overall it is a poor male thing, but dont you think there is more gun crime from and on the black community then in the white/other ethnic communities?

And you are most likely right that overall it is a poor male thing, but dont you think there is more gun crime from and on the black community then in the white/other ethnic communities?

There are certainly a lot of young black males involved in violent crime. I don't think that it is because they are black though.

I think that you made a good point a few posts ago, poor education plays a part. Lack of prospects, youth, drugs, poor role models all contribute to the problem.

So boy friday why is being in a gang so important to certain sections of the black community?, is it about identity and belonging?, the gang culture exists the same on the streets of london as is it does in the prisons

I've no idea, I don't know any youths who are gang members so I would only be speculating in the same way you are.

However what I would say is this phenomenon seems specific to London, in Liverpool (which also has a large ethnic population) youth on youth assaults is largely amongst white youths, so I think there may be a clue in your reference to certain types of gang culture.

If it were a 'black thing' per se then such behaviour would be evident across the socio-economic groupings and synonymous with blacks irrespective of their background, so I think there's more to it than a simple reference to skin colour.

Archived