Do you consider yourself 'POSH' ?

I don't think this was the original meaning, as it meant people who were rich enough to buy the best cabins sailing out to India and back ie, Port Out, Starboard Home, the side away from the searing sunshine.

but thats my point, at that time the ones that did sail to India and beyond were the upper classes in the best cabins, the standard of wealth at that time cannot be compared to today, then it was old family money inherited, not lottery wins , celebrity status, property moguls etc

Posh is the ability to speak without the slightest deflection of the upper lip. At one time it was acheived by your first purchase of a car, no matter how decrepit the vehicle was. Now all you need to be is a Top Gear fan.

Posh is a silly expression used by those who feel slightly inferior.It is a lazy term and better words can be used to describe the posh type.

spot on!

If you don't speak with a broad Sheffield accent, or if you drive a nice car like a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Range Rover and live in Fulwood, Ringinglow, Dore, Whirlow, Ranmoor - you will be accused of being POSH by most people in this city - regardless.

but thats my point, at that time the ones that did sail to India and beyond were the upper classes in the best cabins, the standard of wealth at that time cannot be compared to today, then it was old family money inherited, not lottery wins , celebrity status, property moguls etc

This was the time of the nouveau riche, the industrialists who had made fortunes in mills, and the nabobs who had made their fortunes in the East Indian trade - I don't agree that at this time it would have been just the upper classes :)

When I was young I stayed with family friends. They lived in Stocksbridge in a posh bungalow whereas I lived down the cliffe. For breakfast, I was given toast and jam, not in the jar but a spoonful on the plate, next to the toast. I was told this was ettiquette and assumed that this was what posh people did......

One day at school we were having an English lesson and were asked who knew what the word ettiquette meant..............

Yes :roll: my hand went up and I said, "Jam on a plate miss".......

I never lived that down:blush:

I don't think this was the original meaning, as it meant people who were rich enough to buy the best cabins sailing out to India and back ie, Port Out, Starboard Home, the side away from the searing sunshine.

I would think that would depend on what time of day you sailed ? :)....it's the people who think they are better than you that are the worst...."all fur coat and no knickers"

When I was a kid, we referred to kids from the private housing estates as 'Posh',

To be honest ..when i were a kid i thought the folks who lived in the council houses were posh..the poshest person i knew was the insurance man

If you don't speak with a broad Sheffield accent, or if you drive a nice car like a BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Range Rover and live in Fulwood, Ringinglow, Dore, Whirlow, Ranmoor - you will be accused of being POSH by most people in this city - regardless.
As someone has already said,lots of people do exaggerate their accent on purpose instead of just speaking as they are..i have worked around the country and picked up lots of different local dialects..but everyone always knows i'm a Yorkshireman...i have owned a few new BMW's and Mercs and have never been called "posh"....Bigead,apeney millionaire..yes,but never posh:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Archived