Did you work at ogley's pet shop in the early 1970s

linda 1

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

We are all getting older Linda. 

Wait until the dahlia tops are dying back, cut off the tops and dig up the tubers. Store them in boxes filled with dry potting compost or sand and keep them in a dark frost free place over winter. I keep mine in the shed, covered in bubble wrap and most have survived for the last few years. 

Do you have a big garden. mines tiny. but this year it looks like miss Marple lives here. traditional flowers and roses round the door. you know what I'd really like if next year is kinder to me, I'd love to take mom a bunch of flowers that's out of my own garden. but cemetery about a 15min car trip away. not brave enough just now.. and buddy has not dug anything up. i thought he would have

Edited by linda 1

yes, no room for vegetables but I've got some rhubarb that's moved house with me and now about 50-year-old. don't use it it's so sour. I've got 2 fountains and when life gets hectic, I go out back and sit listening to the water, I love it. wildlife uses it to drink. this summer the birds was lining up on the fence. I have a bit of a battle with the squirrels but me and buddy are a force to be reckoned with they don't stand a chance against us. lol                       Do you have pets 

Edited by linda 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, linda 1 said:

yes, no room for vegetables but I've got some rhubarb that's moved house with me and now about 50-year-old. don't use it it's so sour. I've got 2 fountains and when life gets hectic, I go out back and sit listening to the water, I love it. wildlife uses it to drink. this summer the birds was lining up on the fence. I have a bit of a battle with the squirrels but me and buddy are a force to be reckoned with they don't stand a chance against us. lol                       Do you have pets 

When I was a young lad back in the 50/60s, one of the great delights of that era was sitting on the back step with a stick of Rhubarb, dipping it in a bag of sugar and eating it.........yummy!

• Like 1

I've never bothered with the powder, just shake the soil off and pack them in almost dry compost/peat/sand  type stuff. Keep them dry over winter and give them a water when they start spruting in the spring. I have lost some but not many. 

Just now, Meltman said:

I've never bothered with the powder, just shake the soil off and pack them in almost dry compost/peat/sand  type stuff. Keep them dry over winter and give them a water when they start spruting in the spring. I have lost some but not many. 

Cheers mate . Going to give it a go this year . Usually grow them from seed each year but its time and space consuming . :thumbsup:

• Like 1