Did you work at ogley's pet shop in the early 1970s

linda 1

57 minutes ago, Padders said:

When I was a young lad back in the 50/60s, one of the great delights of that era was sitting on the back step with a stick of Rhubarb, dipping it in a bag of sugar and eating it.........yummy!

Hi. Padders. I don't think Youd eat this even with sugar. It must be an old variety before they started messing about with things. sprouts were very bitter back in those days as well. my next-door neighbours have come from Greece, and they didn't know what rhubarb was. she knows now she's tasted this. lol

I remember when I was young that the rhubarb always tasted very tart and needed loads of sugar. It really made the lips pucker up. I don't eat it raw nowadays, always cooked.....with sugar or honey. 

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Do you dry out your dahlias first and dust them with anti fungal powder , or just shake the loose soil off them ?

Thank you I will give it a go they are absolutely massive. shame not to save them. farmyard manure was the magic ingredient. dad used to grow Daliah's but never as big as these. these are the biggest I've ever seen. I've turned into a right Percy thrower. I got stung last year though. wasp

1 hour ago, Meltman said:

I've never bothered with the powder, just shake the soil off and pack them in almost dry compost/peat/sand  type stuff. Keep them dry over winter and give them a water when they start spruting in the spring. I have lost some but not many. 

I've got mildew on my thornless rose. bought some spray but didn't do much good. any ideas how to cure it

2 minutes ago, linda 1 said:

Thank you I will give it a go they are absolutely massive. shame not to save them. farmyard manure was the magic ingredient. dad used to grow Daliah's but never as big as these. these are the biggest I've ever seen. I've turned into a right Percy thrower. I got stung last year though. wasp

Pesky wasp's,

I've done a post on another thread, explaining how to deal with the blighters.

4 minutes ago, linda 1 said:

Right. it was very painful for days.

I've never been stung by a Wasp or a Bee, and I'm not joking I'm terrified of them.

I've many a time been chased around the garden, flaying my arms around.

That's why I came up with desperate measures to shift em.

15 minutes ago, linda 1 said:

Right. it was very painful for days.

Many years ago I was clearing a garden and came upon a wasps nest unbeknown to me. The first I knew was when they were climbing up my legs inside my trousers and stinging me. Not pleasant and I don't want that again. 

8 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Many years ago I was clearing a garden and came upon a wasps nest unbeknown to me. The first I knew was when they were climbing up my legs inside my trousers and stinging me. Not pleasant and I don't want that again. 

Dad had one in his false roof, and he poked it with a stick they chased him. I've never seen dad move as fast.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Padders said:

You loved your Dad, Linda.

I did we went everywhere together. he was such a lovely kind person, people used to call him a gentle gentleman. everyone liked him. he loved everything to do with the countryside and wildlife, sadly missed, we used to laugh all the time. 

55 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Mine went inside my shoe and I couldn't get it out.

43 minutes ago, Padders said:

You loved your Dad, Linda.

he is the reason I started fishing and horse riding and later on gardening. after the dog attack he was worried how I was going to manage when he had gone. He used to help me. I know what he meant now, 

Edited by linda 1
missing word