Did you work at ogley's pet shop in the early 1970s

linda 1

3 hours ago, linda 1 said:

Hi meltman you garden don't you. Well, I've got something called geastrum earthstar come up all over my back garden. I'm thinking maybe come out of the manure. my son said they are very interesting so leave them, but I've took them out because if you touch them, they spray spores out so don't want buddy breathing it in. honestly, they look so weird they just looked like huge crocus bulbs and the next day this little shop of horrors type thing in clusters. hope they don't keep coming back have you ever had any in your garden. ?

Hi Linda, hope your keeping well.

Just google "Geastrum earthstar"

Tells you all you need to know.  (Harmless to dogs)

Hi Padders. you know some days are better than others. right, they look really strange. I've moved them because they seem to be coming up all over the place. Glad I wear gloves in the garden. are you a gardener padders?  bit muddy just now it'll soon be time to empty my fountains for the winter. how are you keeping all's well, I hope.? 

25 minutes ago, linda 1 said:

Hi Padders. you know some days are better than others. right, they look really strange. I've moved them because they seem to be coming up all over the place. Glad I wear gloves in the garden. are you a gardener padders?  bit muddy just now it'll soon be time to empty my fountains for the winter. how are you keeping all's well, I hope.? 

I'm fine Linda, not a gardener though.

Did use to grow Veg when my missis was with us.

I just keep it neat and tidy now.

28 minutes ago, Padders said:

28 minutes ago, Padders said:

My gardens not big enough to grow veg. but this year I filled it with the old-fashioned flowers. best it's ever looked this year.  I'd love a big garden we had a fishpond when I was a kid. My mom stepped backwards into it. so funny. she got out with black slimy feet.

• Haha 2

On 02/11/2022 at 15:01, linda 1 said:

Hi meltman you garden don't you. Well, I've got something called geastrum earthstar come up all over my back garden. I'm thinking maybe come out of the manure. my son said they are very interesting so leave them, but I've took them out because if you touch them, they spray spores out so don't want buddy breathing it in. honestly, they look so weird they just looked like huge crocus bulbs and the next day this little shop of horrors type thing in clusters. hope they don't keep coming back have you ever had any in your garden. ?

Hello Linda, I hope you are keeping well. I've never had any earthstar fungus but I believe they thrive in leaf mould type material so may have come into your garden in some compost. I would collect them (use gloves if you need to) and bag them up and put them in your bin. Try to do this carefully without spreading them. You could ask your local garden centre for advice, they may be of more help than me. 

This may not be much use to you but it's good that you asked....any time.  Take care. 

24 minutes ago, Meltman said:

Hello Linda, I hope you are keeping well. I've never had any earthstar fungus but I believe they thrive in leaf mould type material so may have come into your garden in some compost. I would collect them (use gloves if you need to) and bag them up and put them in your bin. Try to do this carefully without spreading them. You could ask your local garden centre for advice, they may be of more help than me. 

This may not be much use to you but it's good that you asked....any time.  Take care. 

Hello. Thanks for your help. yes, I will do that I don't want them all over. you can go out one day and there's none there the next day there's some more. they don't look very nice there's a big hole in the centre of them. Have you taken up your Daliah's yet mines still full of flowers.  the garden is looking a bit drab now but still some colour left at the moment., Nice to speak to you again. Linda

4 hours ago, Meltman said:

I've not taken mine out yet as they are still flowering, like yours I guess. I'll give them a bit longer and see what they do. Nice to speak to you as always. 

Yes, I'm thinking the same it's a shame to dig them up. no more earthstars today so fingers crossed that's the end of them.  It's always nice to speak to you as well. Have a nice evening.