Sheffielder Guide To Russia

Very stereotyped, many ppl live a different life, but this is something you could expect to find here

The most general characteristic of Russian way of life seem to be its contradictoriness. Examples are very common: people with higher education maybe less paid than dockers, a drunkard on the street mb better disposed to you than a shop-assistant. The entrance of the block of flats (most of Russians in the cities live there) may look grubby but the flat could impress you with the state of the art paintings by the owner and fab supper by his missus

Vodka is not the clue to every answer ;) Campaign against immoderate drinking of mid-80s is remembered with mixed feelings. Btw vodka is still the most popular alcohol I suppose. Then comes beer (mostly lager :( ). Wine is just the 3rd :( And don’t try ‘samogon’ (home made spirit) without proper approach – most of this is a knockout even for those long-practiced

Avoiding conventions. Especially with close friends, people here are very open at this aspect, doing this mostly to show a good attitude towards one’s collocutor. So try (if u can) not to show distance, this could be considered as disregard

Importance of doing things in a big way – e.g. have a wedding for couple of days with everyone around in a quarter to be informed ;) At the same time - compassion and delicacy

Just a word: pirog (home made pie with filling)

Choise: StPetersburg, Suzdal and Sergiev Posad ;)

Cold winter (esp Feb), hot summer (July)

Originally posted by Sam Miguel

Those winters sound harsh.

I would like to visit St Petersburg and Moscow.

Hello, Sam Miguel!

Very pleased to hear that. Yes, you're right -- winters are rather severe, but not that much really.

And why didn't you list Sergiev Posad?

Anyway, don't forget to ask for pir'og (it's a great thing) when you visit Russia!

Oh sorry, didn't I tell this.

SP is 70 km north-east of Moscow,

nice city, rather old one, lots of historic buildings -- churhes, authentic wooden houses, monastery with grand collection of old books, manuscripts, jewelry, not very lively but like an open-air museum (I didn't mean to boast). Centre of Russian orthodox church. A lot of tourists.

What else... I live here.

:)

I did some search obsessed with English language and culture. Said 'ello in Introductions then.

SP is something about 130 000 (census recently held).

Well it was nice to talk to you. I'd be glad to make DIY Guide more informative but I've only 1500 symbols 4 it. So please ask!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vovakr

This is really interesting, it sounds like a beautiful place I 'd love to see the historical buildings. I think I'd like to see Russia during the winter I imagine it would be most striking then.

Thanks and keep posting .........please!

Sally

Archived