Bigotry, Intolerance towards those with different opinions

It makes perfect sense to me. By definition (career criminal) they have values which conflict strongly with mine and they behave in a way which I dislike.

We will have to agree to disagree.

You did read both words I used right? Career criminal. Not someone forced to steal bread to stay alive.

It's disliking a group, and it's disliking them because of their different moral values (which lead them to behave in a specific way).

Yes

It's a very narrow definition that you've seized on and refuse to be corrected on.

It’s the broadest definition; the one you posted was much narrower but still correct.

I'm not sure you haven't actually gone beyond the definition you quote several times though by declaring that someone is a bigot for calling someone else a bigot.

Here we go again, I haven’t claimed that, it’s something you misunderstood and I have corrected you on; you just keep bringing up to perpetuate the argument.

The definition that you've adopted depends on your interpretation of intolerance, which is so broad as to render your definition of 'bigot' meaningless because it applies to everyone (except you apparently).

You simply can’t see that your stance on this discussion is based on the assumption that the majority of people think like you, which is something you simply can’t know. Thankfully we are all different.

You should embrace the fact that people are all different and may have different moral values, you don’t have to like what they believe but to be intolerant of their beliefs and opinions isn’t very becoming.

It's patently obvious; you've spent God knows how many posts trying to mangle the terms 'bigot' and 'bigotry' to suit your own agenda.

You claim to use them according to the dictionary definition - what you actually mean is 'one particular definition' and you conveniently ignore others.

By the way, you have conveniently repeatedly avoided the point I've made twice i.e. that it was clear from the Brown case that the woman concerned did indeed appear to hold a very negative view of immigrants as evidenced by the tone and content of what she said.

Are you trying to justify Browns slur by saying the woman appeared to hold a negative view of immigrants by the tone and content of what she said :huh:

Do us a favour, that is your opinion purely based on your own prejudice to anyone saying anything negative about immigrants and immigration.

Look at the definition halibut, it is not for use for people with negative views of anything, it is used when people are intolerant or hateful !

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

Of course I can see that assumption. It's an assumption that is fairly well established through experience and so far as I can see you're either the exception to the rule or you're pretending to be so.

Based on your previous posting history I believe it to be the latter.

I find it very bizarre that you would consider it unbecoming to dislike someone who doesn't believe that theft is wrong. Perhaps you should consider the idea that you're actually wrong rather than obstinately and intolerantly insisting that your opinion on what is bigotry is correct.

Here we go again, I haven’t claimed that, it’s something you misunderstood and I have corrected you on; you just keep bringing up to perpetuate the argument.

You've done it twice, once you retracted it (RE: Nick Clegg), but then you've reasserted it using the Gordon Brown example.

To recap, you said

"Gordon Brown is a bigot because he called the woman a bigot, which was demonstrating intolerance of her opinion".

I didn't make that up, that has been your argument all along, it depends on defining intolerance as including disagreeing with an opinion or using any word with negative connotations to describe a person.

You've done it twice, once you retracted it (RE: Nick Clegg), but then you've reasserted it using the Gordon Brown example.

To recap, you said

"Gordon Brown is a bigot because he called the woman a bigot, which was demonstrating intolerance of her opinion".

I didn't make that up, that has been your argument all along, it depends on defining intolerance as including disagreeing with an opinion or using any word with negative connotations to describe a person.

You appear to be confused again over what you think I said.

Note the difference between what you think I said and what I actually said.

He wasn't intolerant because he called her a bigot; he called her a bigot because he was intolerant.

No I’m not; I’m claiming the GB demonstrated some intolerance towards her because of her opinion which makes him a bigot. She didn’t demonstrate intolerance to anyone because of their opinion, so she wasn’t a bigot.

I must have explained this to you several times now; it was his intolerance towards her because she asked him a question he didn’t like, that resulted in him calling her a bigot.

It was his intolerance towards her that made him the bigot.

insisting that your opinion on what is bigotry is correct.

:huh:

It’s not my opinion, it’s the dictionary definition, I don’t form opinions on what words mean, I just look them up in dictionary and it tells me what it mean. If you think the dictionary definition is wrong then may I suggest you take it up with them.

It's patently obvious; you've spent God knows how many posts trying to mangle the terms 'bigot' and 'bigotry' to suit your own agenda.

You claim to use them according to the dictionary definition - what you actually mean is 'one particular definition' and you conveniently ignore others.

By the way, you have conveniently repeatedly avoided the point I've made twice i.e. that it was clear from the Brown case that the woman concerned did indeed appear to hold a very negative view of immigrants as evidenced by the tone and content of what she said.

Perhaps you can point it out, concern about immigration maybe,

:huh:

It’s not my opinion, it’s the dictionary definition, I don’t form opinions on what words mean, I just look them up in dictionary and it tells me what it mean. If you think the dictionary definition is wrong then may I suggest you take it up with them.

You're trying to blame a dictionary (you've referred to Oxford, but I don't think you mean OED) for your choice to only consider the rather limited definition that you found in that particular online reference...

I must have explained this to you several times now; it was his intolerance towards her because she asked him a question he didn’t like, that resulted in him calling her a bigot.

It was his intolerance towards her that made him the bigot.

You apparently don't understand the logic of your own words.

The only evidence you have presented to us that GB was intolerant was the fact that he called her a bigot.

So you are basing your assertion that he is a bigot, on his assertion that she is a bigot.

As I've said multiple times, by your definition this makes you intolerant of GB and a bigot, but you deny this.

Archived