Bigotry, Intolerance towards those with different opinions

Because you said ''Bigotry, Intolerance towards those with different opinions was the thread title......hmmm''.

What was the intention of the post if not to suggest something?

My interpretation of the post is that AWOL is pointing out to Motor what the topic is about, because of Motor’s post 39. :)

I could be wrong.

Again it apeared to me that it was GB that was unwillingness to accept the ladies views.

Again you confuse not agreeing with someone with being intolerant of their opinion.

Except strangely it doesn't apply to you and your refusal to accept my view...

But wouldn't I need to know what the detail should be in order to know that the detailed provided by an obscure dictionary are correct. Look at several different online dictionaries and they all say something different, I can hardly be blamed for using the wrong one.

I haven't blamed you for using the wrong anything.

Thanks janie48 for finding it.

I.30 into the recording she says, All these East Europeans, where do they all flocking from? I think it’s says flocking.

So more likely she is ignorant than bigoted.

Which doesn't in any way make GB bigoted himself, although it might make his characterisation of her incorrect.

This is what I thought until becoming a member of this forum. Now I don't know what to think.:)

You are the one who is claiming that having an opinion that someone else is a bigot (ala Gordon Brown) makes you a bigot (you've said GB is a bigot because he thought she was a bigot).

You are the one who is claiming that having an opinion that someone else is a bigot (ala Gordon Brown) makes you a bigot (you've said GB is a bigot because he thought she was a bigot).

Yes, he has indeed said that. Maybe he was confused or just not very good with ideas.

Brown was right. The woman was a bigot.

She was a life long member of the Labour Party and had her own stubborn and inflexible view.

Brown challenged it. The words fell on obstinate, stubborn ears.

He was speaking to a bigot.

It is no big deal.

What it illustrates is a word the nanny state decide we can't use when it is actually fitting and apt for purpose the same as calling someone ignorant.

You are ignorant for asking the question.

That is not insulting but it is a fact. You don't know something and ask the question out of ignorance. Once told and if you stubbornly choose not to accept the facts then you are a bigot.

In fact, an ignorant bigot.

Brown should have added that when he returned.

Again you confuse not agreeing with someone with being intolerant of their opinion.

Except strangely it doesn't apply to you and your refusal to accept my view...

Then explain how someone’s intolerance would manifest its self, because he appeared very intolerant of her and tried to distract from his bigotry by claiming she was the bigot which she clearly wasn’t.

I haven't blamed you for using the wrong anything.

The basis of your claim that I am wrong apears to be that my definition is incorrect, but you haven’t given me a good reason to disbelieve the definition in the oxford dictionary.

No I’m not; I’m claiming the GB demonstrated some intolerance towards her because of her opinion which makes him a bigot. She didn’t demonstrate intolerance to anyone because of their opinion, so she wasn’t a bigot.

No I’m not; I’m claiming the GB demonstrated some intolerance towards her because of her opinion which makes him a bigot. She didn’t demonstrate intolerance to anyone because of their opinion, so she wasn’t a bigot.

It does if you define bigoted as intolerant, or vice versa. Intolerance is a trait of bigoted not a sole definition. This has been explained to you on many occasions inc the other now closed thread.

And the demonstration of intolerance is calling her a bigot.

Is that not what you have said?

So you are claiming (I repeat myself) that GB is a bigot because he called someone else a bigot.

This makes no sense. He did not demonstrate intolerance. He simply formed an opinion of her as a bigot because of what she said. Maybe he was wrong, but that doesn't really matter, he wasn't intolerant.

Archived