Bigotry, Intolerance towards those with different opinions

Then explain how someone’s intolerance would manifest its self, because he appeared very intolerant of her and tried to distract from his bigotry by claiming she was the bigot which she clearly wasn’t.

Are you being bigoted by calling GB bigoted because you clearly disagree with his opinion about that woman?

How can you think that believing someone is bigoted because of what they say is a demonstration of intolerance?

I posted this a dozen times, and you will probably ignore it again.

unable or unwilling to endure 2

a : unwilling to grant equal freedom of expression especially in religious matters

b : unwilling to grant or share social, political, or professional rights : bigoted

What definition of intolerance did he match by forming his opinion of that woman?

The basis of your claim that I am wrong apears to be that my definition is incorrect, but you haven’t given me a good reason to disbelieve the definition in the oxford dictionary.

Have you even given the definition of intolerance, or have you just kept repeating that to call someone a bigot is intolerance, except when you do it.

It does if you define bigoted as intolerant, or vice versa. Intolerance is a trait of bigoted not a sole definition. This has been explained to you on many occasions inc the other now closed thread.

I have been told I'm wrong but it hasn't been explained, how would someone’s intolerance manifest itself?

Intolerance.

unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one’s own:

He sounded unwilling to accept her views to me because they differed from his.

In what way did he "sound unwilling to accept her views"?

You don't have to agree with a viewpoint to accept that someone holds it, so just because he holds a different view doesn't mean he can't accept that she holds hers.

And the demonstration of intolerance is calling her a bigot.

Is that not what you have said?

So you are claiming (I repeat myself) that GB is a bigot because he called someone else a bigot.

This makes no sense. He did not demonstrate intolerance. He simply formed an opinion of her as a bigot because of what she said. Maybe he was wrong, but that doesn't really matter, he wasn't intolerant.

He wasn't intolerant because he called her a bigot; he called her a bigot because he was intolerant.

If he had been intolerant of her because of her opinion, how would that intolerance manifest its self?

How would you know that someone was intolerant?

Intolerance.

unwillingness to accept views, beliefs, or behaviour that differ from one’s own:

Are you being bigoted by calling GB bigoted because you clearly disagree with his opinion about that woman?

How can you think that believing someone is bigoted because of what they say is a demonstration of intolerance?

I posted this a dozen times, and you will probably ignore it again.

What definition of intolerance did he match by forming his opinion of that woman?

Have you even given the definition of intolerance, or have you just kept repeating that to call someone a bigot is intolerance, except when you do it.

I've also posted links to the definition of intolerant and bigot that you keep ignoring, the only conclusion I have come to so far is the we are both correct depending on the definition we use, this in affect render the word bigot useless, because of its different meaning.

I have been told I'm wrong but it hasn't been explained, how would someone’s intolerance manifest itself?

Intolerance.

Disagreeing with someone is clearly not intolerance. If it is, then by your definition everyone is a bigot and the word is meaningless.

He wasn't intolerant because he called her a bigot; he called her a bigot because he was intolerant.

If he had been intolerant of her because of her opinion, how would that intolerance manifest its self?

How would you know that someone was intolerant?

Intolerance.

So the fact that you refuse to agree with me on this makes you a bigot?

In what way did he "sound unwilling to accept her views"?

You don't have to agree with a viewpoint to accept that someone holds it, so just because he holds a different view doesn't mean he can't accept that she holds hers.

Its was the way he spoke about her.

If he had been intolerant of her, what would he have had to do to demonstrate his intolerance?

I've also posted links to the definition of intolerant and bigot that you keep ignoring, the only conclusion I have come to so far is the we are both correct depending on the definition we use, this in affect render the word bigot useless, because of its different meaning.

I've replied to your post of a simple definition of bigot several times.

I don't think I've seen you explain how disagreeing with someone is intolerance by whatever definition you use.

Bigot only has one meaning, but it isn't what you believe.

Its was the way he spoke about her.

If he had been intolerant of her, what would he have had to do to demonstrate his intolerance?

He might have shouted her down, or refused to have a rational debate on the issue if she had tried to do so.

He did none of these things, he made a comment in what he thought was privacy to express his opinion of her attitude towards immigrants.

Archived