Bigotry, Intolerance towards those with different opinions

No, it couldn't. Intolerance of an individual is not bigotry.

It could make you wrong, but that's it.

Impossible to say from such a statement.

But if (for example) I jumped to the conclusion that you were a racist bigot it wouldn't make me a bigot, it might just make me a bit of an idiot for jumping to conclusions.

Here is the definition given on merriam webster

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

This definition does not quite agree with your interpretation though does it ? Therefore intolerance of an individuals opinion could be bigotry IMHO !

Definition of BIGOT

: a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance

This definition does not quite agree with your interpretation though does it ? Therefore intolerance of an individuals opinion could be bigotry IMHO !

Depends what one means by "intolerance" though, doesn't it?

To me "intolerance" suggests some sort of action.

Inaction is, surely, "tolerance".

Definition of BIGOT

I think it agrees very well with what I understand 'bigot' to mean.

Arguing that calling out bigotry becomes a form of bigotry is of the same school of lack-of-thinking that tries to claim that white men are discriminated against, i.e. laughable.

If you're bigoted and get called out on it, take it on the chin or try and get yourself an education and do the rest of us a favour.

The ones I highlighted I completely disagree with. Opinions, beliefs and values are closely linked to actions.

You didn't answer my question about career criminals though, are you bigoted against them, or is it okay to dislike all people that believe that theft is okay?

If it is okay to dislike that, then how is it different to any other belief or system of values?

I dislike people who are racist, that doesn't make me a bigot, I disagree strongly with their opinions and values to the point where I dislike them. Whether they take actions or not following on from their beliefs doesn't alter my feelings. (Not that I'm saying that anyone was racist in the example you've been using).

I don’t know any career criminals so I couldn’t say if I like or dislike any of them, I certainly wouldn’t dislike them as a collective and their opinions wouldn’t have any bearings on whether I like them or not. I can dislike what they have done and think they deserve punishment without disliking them as a person or group of people.

I know and like plenty of people whose opinions I disagree with, but I don’t dislike anyone because of their opinions.

I don’t know any racist so I couldn’t say if I dislike any.

Arguing that calling out bigotry becomes a form of bigotry is of the same school of lack-of-thinking that tries to claim that white men are discriminated against, i.e. laughable.

If you're bigoted and get called out on it, take it on the chin or try and get yourself an education and do the rest of us a favour.

Top stuff Jessica. Lovely to see you on here again.

I don’t know any career criminals so I couldn’t say if I like or dislike any of them, I certainly wouldn’t dislike them as a collective and their opinions wouldn’t have any bearings on whether I like them or not. I can dislike what they have done and think they deserve punishment without disliking them as a person or group of people.

I know and like plenty of people whose opinions I disagree with, but I don’t dislike anyone because of their opinions.

I don’t know any racist so I couldn’t say if I dislike any.

You don't dislike people of the opinion that children are there for the sexual gratification of adults?

Or people who think all women are whores and bitches?

People who think black people are subhuman?

Their opinions simply don't colour your opinion of them at all - that's your position?

Bigotry is merely an opinion that someone holds firmly in the face of many other opinions disagreeing with it. Having an opinion that only the minority hold does not guarantee that one is incorrect, but merely that one is strong enough to stand their ground on their beliefs.;)

You don't dislike people of the opinion that children are there for the sexual gratification of adults?

Or people who think all women are whores and bitches?

People who think black people are subhuman?

Their opinions simply don't colour your opinion of them at all - that's your position?

I don’t know any people of the opinion that children are there for the sexual gratification of adults so I couldn’t say if I dislike any, but I would definitely dislike someone that sexually abused a child, paedophiles for instance don’t choose to be sexual attracted to children so why dislike them for something that isn’t their fault, now if they act on their desires then that would be their fault and would be reason to dislike them and punish them.

If someone is taught from a young age that all women are whores and bitches it wouldn’t be their fault for having those opinions, so rather than disliking them it would be better to help them understand that all women aren’t whores and bitches.

Same applies; it would be much better to teach them that Black people aren’t subhuman.

I can dislike their opinion without disliking them for holding that opinion, there are many people I like that have opinions I don’t like or share.

Tolerance

The ability or willingness to tolerate the existence of opinions or behaviour that one dislikes or disagrees with:

Archived