Dripping breadcakes

docmel

Got mine from Talbots butchers in Broomhill. That was lunch in the late 60s early 70s. As you say we didn't know about healthy foods in those days.

Its not as healthy as you think, you look at one of the sandwiches today in shops, you'll find they in the majority 25-30% of someone's daily salt allowance.

A dripping cake once a year for me, no salt just the bottoms on top, chuffing brilliant.

:mad:i live in the deep south of britain and people have never had breadcakes with drippin on,how sad is that,i am getting on a bit now and would like to taste it again, after reading recipe books and searching the net i can't find a recipe for breadcakes,are there any lasses or lads willing to pass on the vital information.
Tinsley bakery just down from old pike and heron still do the dripping bread cakes,love them

Just looking at a couple of threads re 'food from the past'

one of my favourite foodie memories was calling off at Malin Bridge Cafe (late 60's ) and getting a dripping breadcake - lovely brown jelly and plenty of salt - can taste it even now

I guess as so few places roast their own joints now you cant get them any more - s'pose its a good thing as they are instant artery blockers!

Does any one else have fond memories of these delicious but oh so deadly savoury treats?

Yeh.

Cafe on Shalesmoor in the late 50's early 60's . Fletchers bread bun with the gravy mixed in with the dripping . I think they were threpence . Breakfast , lunch or afternoon break - what the heck .

Archived