Deleting sheffield forum

To delete your profile etc. What do you think?

It is not possible to remove a profile without manually going through every thread and post ever posted to remove both the posts posted by the account and every answer to those posts, quote of those posts and discussion related to those posts. Just deleting a profile won't do any of this and the moderating and admin team do not have the time to do this for an account that may have hundreds of even thousands of posts.

What we CAN do is to close an account and, if required, rename it so that the original account name is not associated with posts, and that can be done through the Helpdesk.

Sorry to be pedantic but that doesn't make sense, Medusa. The first two sentences, that is.

OK- if we delete the posts made by an account then that's fine, but it leaves every thread that the account has ever posted on potentially unreadable, with quotes of the post, answers to the post and discussions which develop from the post still in the thread and visible, which destroys the whole point of deleting the post.

Whenever we remove a post it's not just about removing the initial incidence of the post, we also have to remove quotes, answers and discussions which are reliant on that post and leave the thread making sense to people who then read the thread in the future.

Sorry to be pedantic but that doesn't make sense, Medusa. The first two sentences, that is.

It makes perfect sense.

They could easily remove the member but removing all their posts and their posts that have been quoted by others is a different matter, That could take days, It could also make any threads they've started or posted in senseless.

Think about it.

Edit: Medusa beat me to it with his post. :)

OK- if we delete the posts made by an account then that's fine, but it leaves every thread that the account has ever posted on potentially unreadable, with quotes of the post, answers to the post and discussions which develop from the post still in the thread and visible, which destroys the whole point of deleting the post.

Whenever we remove a post it's not just about removing the initial incidence of the post, we also have to remove quotes, answers and discussions which are reliant on that post and leave the thread making sense to people who then read the thread in the future.

In " Deleting sheffield forum" I don't read deleting every post made. I presumed he meant his profile.

It makes perfect sense.

They could easily remove the member but removing all their posts and their posts that have been quoted by others is a different matter, That could take days, It could also make any threads they've started or posted in senseless.

Think about it.

Edit: Medusa beat me to it with his post. :)

I presume Medusa is a she. Think about it. :)

Edited by macmellus

Look, I understood what she said, but try rereading the first two sentences.

Nope. It makes perfect sense to me.

Maybe you should read them more slowly. Or scrunch your eyes up a bit.

It is not possible to remove a profile without manually going through every thread and post ever posted to remove both the posts posted by the account and every answer to those posts, quote of those posts and discussion related to those posts. Just deleting a profile won't do any of this and the moderating and admin team do not have the time to do this for an account that may have hundreds of even thousands of posts.

What we CAN do is to close an account and, if required, rename it so that the original account name is not associated with posts, and that can be done through the Helpdesk.

I've got a suicide script I wrote years ago, but I've never fully tested it. If it works, it will methodically go through every single one of my posts and blank it with 500 characters of random garbage. Could take a while though.