Deleting sheffield forum

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

The way I saw it Daniel was mentally challenged and reaching out for friendship. Sad that he didn't get it.

Dare I suggest this wouldnt be the correct forum (forum with a small f) for him to get that if he has mental issues.

27 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Dare I suggest this wouldnt be the correct forum (forum with a small f) for him to get that if he has mental issues.

Yes, you're probably right, but is there such a thing as the right one for people with those issues? I certainly don't know of one. 

Communication is difficult at the best of times, particularly written communication. Heaven knows a lot of the people on here have difficulty making themselves understood.

I hope someone can point him in the right direction and he finds the friends he desires.

Good luck Daniel 

Just now, Anna B said:

Yes, you're probably right, but is there such a thing as the right one for people with those issues? I certainly don't know of one. 

Communication is difficult at the best of times, particularly written communication. Heaven knows a lot of the people on here have difficulty making themselves understood.

I hope someone can point him in the right direction and he finds the friends he desires.

Good luck Daniel 

I would assume there are in person  support groups he can access (or at least there would have been before this pandemic thingy)

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would assume there are in person  support groups he can access (or at least there would have been before this pandemic thingy)

Pandemic has changed a lot of things. It's affected people with disabilities more than most. And there wasn't that much help for them in the first place with the person to person and group facilities closing at a rate of knots long before the pandemic.

Edited by Anna B

21 hours ago, crookesey said:

I wonder if forums have past their sell by date, it certainly appears so in respect of this one.

It seems to be the case with general chat ones like SF.  All the ones I'm on have withered away.  The only forums I see still going strong are car ones.

The question has to be why have we suddenly been inundated with Newbies who appear to want to use it as a dating agency or more disturbingly simply to Troll, posting dribble if not disturbing posts as in Daniel89's 90 posts in one day including the 'want to die' one.

Keep safe.

Anna makes some good points; we don't know what kind of mental issues the individual in question may have. So I am sure it's a good thing to find out more information before jumping to conclusions regarding a poster's intent.

I think we get too much exposure to this kind of thing (people trolling, spamming, generally being odd, etc), and so when we encounter it, we tend to think it's just more of the same.

Certainly they came across as somewhat disturbed; and if that's the case, I hope they find some lasting calm and peace of mind. Good luck to you Daniel89, if you're reading this.

Diagnosing mental illness is not something that the unqualified should tamper with. I have the unenviable experience of not spotting a mate slipping into deep depression because of being re-located by his employers. He was a draftsman for Rolls Royce and flipped when he had to move from Chesterfield to Derby, something that I would have taken in my stride, but not him. Me and the lads were no help at all to him, this was circa 50 years ago and we just didn’t have the common sense to realise that something was amiss.

I won’t go any further, other than to say that when someone needs help, please give it to them.

On 31/08/2021 at 14:21, Rockers rule said:

The question has to be why have we suddenly been inundated with Newbies who appear to want to use it as a dating agency or more disturbingly simply to Troll, posting dribble if not disturbing posts as in Daniel89's 90 posts in one day including the 'want to die' one.

Keep safe.

come across as a troll to me too, glad i wasnt the only one

Going back to the topic, what should happen is that according to GDPR you can have your account deleted; if that isn't possible, then your data should be obscured. So if posts cannot be deleted, where the poster's name appears on the left of their post the name should be rendered into garbage, as to remove the link between the post and the account.

I've no idea if this happens on SF. I've never seen a garbage username (well, not one that wasn't intentional). Seen plenty of garbage posts, but that's a different matter :)

Edit

Taken from SF's T&Cs:

4.8 If you wish to close your Account, you may do so at any time. Closing your Account will result in the removal of your information. Closing your Account will also remove access to any areas of Our Site requiring an Account for access.

4.9 If you close your Account, any Posts you have made on Our Site will be anonymised by removing your username, avatar and any identifiable information.

Edited by the_bloke