Universal Credit Scheme!!

Is anybodyconcerned about this..i work part time..am a single parent..i get child/working tax crdits..it suggests the universal scheme is to be paid monthly..the powers that be say people who work under this scheme are going to be better off...i cant see that happening..just wondered if nyone on tax credits is concerned about this..and you can put all you want slagging me off because im claiming tax credits..at least im working and have been since leaving school in the 80's...

forgive my ignorance but I have not idea what the universal credit scheme is. Can we all apply?

Universal Credit will replace:

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance

Income Support

Child Tax Credits

Working Tax Credits

Housing Benefit

Payments will be made monthly, rather than weekly or fortnightly.

Housing payments will go directly to the claimant, rather than the landlord

forgive my ignorance but I have not idea what the universal credit scheme is. Can we all apply?

Universal Credit will replace:

Jobseeker’s Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance

Income Support

Child Tax Credits

Working Tax Credits

Housing Benefit

Nothing there for me then. I'll just have to carry on paying for it.

Is anybodyconcerned about this..i work part time..am a single parent..i get child/working tax crdits..it suggests the universal scheme is to be paid monthly..the powers that be say people who work under this scheme are going to be better off...i cant see that happening..just wondered if nyone on tax credits is concerned about this..and you can put all you want slagging me off because im claiming tax credits..at least im working and have been since leaving school in the 80's...

Most people working get paid monthly and have to budget, the gov is doing this to cut the expense of making numerous different paymants to a claimant and will make savings as well.

Why don't you think that you'll end up better off, that's the entire point of the universal credit, to ensure that working pays.

There is no way I will be able to manage monthly pay. I even get my wages weekly so never had to budget monthly before. I don't even get paid much weekly either so I would end up getting muddled towards the end of the month (not hard for me though) :hihi:.

Why won't you be able to manage with monthly payments? genuine question - is it the math involved? is it the temptation to spend all in the first few days?

Why won't you be able to manage with monthly payments? genuine question - is it the math involved? is it the temptation to spend all in the first few days?

It has been shown by research that people on very low incomes do struggle if they get all their income in one monthly payment.

Most of us who aren't on the breadline have a little in reserve, or access to reasonable credit for emergencies. However, people who only have enough for essentials, such as a single person living independently on basic JSA are unlikely to have even pennies left over. Of course, not everyone on benefits gets the same, and some will manage perfectly well.

Whilst I don't think that monthly payments is necessarily a good thing, I'm half in favour of returning responsibility for paying rent and council tax to people claiming benefits. I have heard people say 'I don't pay rent' meaning it is paid via housing benefit. I believe even if it is all paid by benefits, people need to realise their housing is not free! However, I can understand the concern of landlords, as not everyone on a low income will be able, or willing to ensure their rent is first priority.

I just hope when these benefit changes occur that there is financial management help for those who need it. In days long gone, we split our money up as soon as we got it, into rent, gas, electric, food, etc. Perhaps household budgeting needs to be taught in schools.

Just seen this - it appears that fortnightly payments will continue if people can't manage on monthly incomes: http://www.insidehousing.co.uk/tenancies/fortnightly-payments-to-stay-under-universal-credit/6523673.article

Edited by Ms Macbeth

If its that much of an issue refuse the payment?