Sun melted my carpet. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Yesterday I went out and bought a rug made from polypropylene to use as a doormat inside the front door.

This morning I found an inch wide burn across half of the the rug. At first I couldn't work out how it happened but when the sun came out there was a bright patch of light from a bullseye glass pane which took up where the burn mark finished and stared once again to melt the carpet.

We have had an all wool carpet in the hall for ages and I've never seen anything like this. I intend to take the rug back to where I bought it but expect to have a really tough time explaining how the damage occured.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? It's hardly mid summer and the sun isn't exactly intense.

Whatever you do dont take it back to the shop to ask for a replacement, in what way is this the shop or manufacturers fault?

Just put this down to experience.

I couldn't agree less. Bulls eye glass isn't exactly an unusual thing to find in houses. Goods are supposedly required to be fit for purpose. A carpet that melts under sunlight is hardly fit for purpose.

I couldn't agree less. Bulls eye glass isn't exactly an unusual thing to find in houses. Goods are supposedly required to be fit for purpose. A carpet that melts under sunlight is hardly fit for purpose.

There has been many instances of fires caused by bulls eye panes over the years, it isn't as uncommon as you may think.

It used to be very common, especially when float glass was expensive and cheaper spun glass used to be used which has the bullseyes in them. Even in midwinter you get a lot of energy in sunlight and you can easily start a fire - as kids we used to make magnifying glasses from sheets of ice that you melt into shape and you can easily start a fire with one of those about six inches across.

Polypropylene melts at about 100C, where wool will just laugh at those sorts of temperature - if you get a very bright patch though you are at risk of a fire and need to do something about it.

Archived