Sun melted my carpet. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Maybe it's the bullseye glass that is not fit for purpose.

As bullseye glass had been in use for around 1000 years before polypropylene was invented it isn't unreasonable to expect a carpet manufacturer to take it into account when manufacturing a product. If the product isn't capable of coping with use in a pretty normal environment it should state those limitations otherwise it is not fit for purpose.

I came upon this.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Flooring-Carpeting-1621/2009/4/carpet-melting.htm

As bullseye glass had been in use for around 1000 years before polypropylene was invented it isn't unreasonable to expect a carpet manufacturer to take it into account when manufacturing a product. If the product isn't capable of coping with use in a pretty normal environment it should state those limitations otherwise it is not fit for purpose.

I came upon this.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Flooring-Carpeting-1621/2009/4/carpet-melting.htm

The carpet manufacturer can account for many things but user stupidity isn't one of them. If you have a carpet that comes with a big sticker saying don't subject to excessive heat or flame etc, and I'm sure it would have done then it's up to you not to do that.

Sticking it on the floor and shining a very bright energy source throough a magnifying glass at it comes under the heading of "excessive heat".

The carpet manufacturer can account for many things but user stupidity isn't one of them. If you have a carpet that comes with a big sticker saying don't subject to excessive heat or flame etc, and I'm sure it would have done then it's up to you not to do that.

Sticking it on the floor and shining a very bright energy source throough a magnifying glass at it comes under the heading of "excessive heat".[/quoteL

Then that sort of glass should banned if its that dangerous to certain fabrics , I wouldn't call sunlight excessive heat , not in England anyhow :)

Sticking it on the floor and shining a very bright energy source throough a magnifying glass at it comes under the heading of "excessive heat".

I think you perhaps need to rethink. I would hardly call it stupidity to place a door mat in front of a door, and as half the front doors in the land have glass in them that would hardly seem out of the ordinary.

So unless a doormat comes with a big sticker saying do not use this doormat near glass doors it is hardly relevant.

I couldn't agree less. Bulls eye glass isn't exactly an unusual thing to find in houses. Goods are supposedly required to be fit for purpose. A carpet that melts under sunlight is hardly fit for purpose.

are you really serious:hihi::hihi::hihi::roll::roll: funniest post i have seen since joining SF:loopy:

I think you perhaps need to rethink. I would hardly call it stupidity to place a door mat in front of a door, and as half the front doors in the land have glass in them that would hardly seem out of the ordinary.

So unless a doormat comes with a big sticker saying do not use this doormat near glass doors it is hardly relevant.

How many of those sheet of glass are old crownwheel cut bullseye glass though? I'll bet it's not half of the doors in the land. Glass isn't the problem. Glass shaped like a magnifying lens is.

Sticking it on the floor and shining a very bright energy source throough a magnifying glass at it comes under the heading of "excessive heat".[/quoteL

Then that sort of glass should banned if its that dangerous to certain fabrics , I wouldn't call sunlight excessive heat , not in England anyhow :)

Sunlight is sunlight, regardless of where you are on the globe - the outside temperature makes little difference.

As for banning the glass because someone cannot be responsible with a rug, please... That's as foolish as banning windows because they can break if you were to accidentally fall through them, or a knife in case you drop it on your foot. It's called taking a little personal responsibility.

Sunlight is sunlight, regardless of where you are on the globe - the outside temperature makes little difference.

As for banning the glass because someone cannot be responsible with a rug, please... That's as foolish as banning windows because they can break if you were to accidentally fall through them, or a knife in case you drop it on your foot. It's called taking a little personal responsibility.

I mean banning as in like Asbestos, and some children's PJ materials that were banned.

How many of those sheet of glass are old crownwheel cut bullseye glass though? I'll bet it's not half of the doors in the land. Glass isn't the problem. Glass shaped like a magnifying lens is.

But it isn't a magnifying glass. It is a standard readily available pane of glass found in hundreds of thousands of homes around the country and millions in countries where the sun is a darned sight hotter than it is here in September.

It is hardly irresponsible to stick a doormat infront of a door.

http://www.tatra-glass.co.uk/glass_bullions.php

These folks sell the tuff today. I see bulls eye panes in new build houses. It is a standard building material. Sticking a magnifying glass in a window isn't a standard building technique and would be foolish.

Archived