Sun melted my carpet. Has anyone else ever seen this?

But it isn't a magnifying glass. It is a standard readily available pane of glass found in hundreds of thousands of homes around the country and millions in countries where the sun is a darned sight hotter than it is here in September.

It is hardly irresponsible to stick a doormat infront of a door.

http://www.tatra-glass.co.uk/glass_bullions.php

These folks sell the tuff today. I see bulls eye panes in new build houses. It is a standard building material. Sticking a magnifying glass in a window isn't a standard building technique and would be foolish.

Look at the first image of it in front of the van lettering. Still think it's not a magnifying glass?

A bullseye glass pane is a magnifying lens. It might not be perfect, you wouldn't read with it and it's a long focal length but it will concentrate the sun's rays - which are of the same heat everywhere in the world btw - and if you are unlucky - or have chosen a flammable carpet then a fire can result.

I mean banning as in like Asbestos, and some children's PJ materials that were banned.

I'm sorry, I really don't see what you are getting at. Do you really want to ban *everything* that is unsafe and go and live in a small cotton wool box all your life?

The glass used is safe if you follow some fairly sensible and reasonable rules. There is no reason to ban it.

Sunlight is sunlight, regardless of where you are on the globe - the outside temperature makes little difference.

But Sheffield is at 58 degrees North. So the sun has far less intensity so what you say is utter rubbish.

As for banning the glass because someone cannot be responsible with a rug, please... That's as foolish as banning windows because they can break if you were to accidentally fall through them, or a knife in case you drop it on your foot. It's called taking a little personal responsibility.

It is hardly irresponsible to place a door mat in front of a door. I watched the carpet melt and put my hand in the light. It was warm but not stinking hot I could have left my hand there for 5 minutes without it burning.

But Sheffield is at 58 degrees North. So the sun has far less intensity so what you say is utter rubbish.

It is hardly irresponsible to place a door mat in front of a door. I watched the carpet melt and put my hand in the light. It was warm but not stinking hot I could have left my hand there for 5 minutes without it burning.

The intensity of sunlight doesn't change with latitude to any great extent - if you have a sheet square on to the sun then it'll absorb more or less the same heat at Sheffields latitude, as it will in the south of France or the equator. IT might seem contrary to common experience but I can assure you it's true.

Did you place your hand exactly where the carpet was? If not then you won't have the same intensity of focussed light, also unless your had was the same colour as the rug it will reflect a lot of the incoming radiation. Black things get hotter than white etc. As for irresponsible, I'm afraid it is *if* you have a great big magnifying lens in the door, which it seems you do.

The intensity of sunlight doesn't change with latitude to any great extent - if you have a sheet square on to the sun then it'll absorb more or less the same heat at Sheffields latitude, as it will in the south of France or the equator. IT might seem contrary to common experience but I can assure you it's true.

Did you place your hand exactly where the carpet was? If not then you won't have the same intensity of focussed light, also unless your had was the same colour as the rug it will reflect a lot of the incoming radiation. Black things get hotter than white etc. As for irresponsible, I'm afraid it is *if* you have a great big magnifying lens in the door, which it seems you do.

Yes. Just as I thought a total bullshipper. Thanks for making it clear that I can ignore everything you post.

The label on my rugs says machine washable at 30 C. There is no warning about anything else. I will return them as unfit for purpose tomorrow.

Rhiannon, those last two posts/quotes weren't mine, must have got mixed up somehow

Yes. Just as I thought a total bullshipper. Thanks for making it clear that I can ignore everything you post.

The label on my rugs says machine washable at 30 C. There is no warning about anything else. I will return them as unfit for purpose tomorrow.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Sadly the door into your mind is perhaps so narrow that some concepts cannot pass. If you can detail why you think the sun shines with less intensity on parts of the earth than others, please feel free to elucidate.

Your rug isn't unfit for purpose, as most people dont have magnifying lenses on the door. The 30C doenst mean that 's the minimum temperature, just what the dye is fast at, and if you had a bullseye door that wouldnt be unfit either, as you are not required to have a flammable rug in front of it.

It seems some people either just want to argue, or just don't want to learn. I'll leave you pick which of those you are.

I couldn't agree less. Bulls eye glass isn't exactly an unusual thing to find in houses. Goods are supposedly required to be fit for purpose. A carpet that melts under sunlight is hardly fit for purpose.

It didn't melt under 'sunlight' it melted under what was in effect a magnifying glass. I doubt you'll get anywhere with the shop.

If the carpet really melts at a temperature that is merely 'warm' then it's not polypropylene.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2009235018_webbellevuefire18m.html

example of a fire started by innocuous household item made out of glass (not a door in this case).

Archived