Sun melted my carpet. Has anyone else ever seen this?

I'm sorry you feel that way. Sadly the door into your mind is perhaps so narrow that some concepts cannot pass. If you can detail why you think the sun shines with less intensity on parts of the earth than others, please feel free to elucidate.

It seems some people either just want to argue, or just don't want to learn. I'll leave you pick which of those you are.

I'm always happy to educate the ignorant.

Quote..

The effect of latitude features in a number of ways, as Rodney indicated.

Firstly, if we are at a latitude away from the equator the area over which the

solar beam is spread increases. For instance at a latitude of about 50°N

solar radiation is spread over an area 35% larger than it is at the equator, so

the potential receipt at a given unit of time will decrease accordingly. In

addition, the solar radiation will also travel through a greater width of

atmosphere and that too will decrease the amount of solar radiation, even at

midday.

http://www.ccfg.org.uk/conferences/downloads/P_Burgess.pdf

The bullseye glass clearly caused the problem. The unfortunate thing is that it was probably a fluke of nature, in that the sun was 'actually' shining, coming from a certain angle, at an intensity bright enough to magnify the rays. The carpet happened to be, at the focal length of the magnifying effect of the bullseye glass. Therefore the carpet got burnt, or at least singed.

I once has a large glass paperweight by a patio door, and the sun came up one morning and it burnt a hole in the TV side casing, which was very close to it. These things happen!

On another day, the sun would be in a slightly different position and it may not have happened to the OP. I would say it was pretty much a fluke. But just be aware of it, that's all!

I'm always happy to educate the ignorant.

Quote..

The effect of latitude features in a number of ways, as Rodney indicated.

Firstly, if we are at a latitude away from the equator the area over which the

solar beam is spread increases. For instance at a latitude of about 50°N

solar radiation is spread over an area 35% larger than it is at the equator, so

the potential receipt at a given unit of time will decrease accordingly. In

addition, the solar radiation will also travel through a greater width of

atmosphere and that too will decrease the amount of solar radiation, even at

midday.

http://www.ccfg.org.uk/conferences/downloads/P_Burgess.pdf

You have a door set flat into the surface of the earth do you? No, didn't think so.

If you have a plane that is at right angles to the incident radiation then it's the same power as one anywhere else on the planet. That's the point, which you appear to be missing. It's even on the first few pages of that document - the solar constant. The word *constant* should give it away that it's the same and unchanging.....

Any problems with a Bullseye call Jim Bowen. :hihi:

Lovleysmashingsupergreat.... That's a show I've not seen for a long time, used to be a staple family viewing did that. Bowen ended up on Radio Cumbria I think, I'm sure I heard him presenting on there not so long back.

Lovleysmashingsupergreat.... That's a show I've not seen for a long time, used to be a staple family viewing did that. Bowen ended up on Radio Cumbria I think, I'm sure I heard him presenting on there not so long back.

Wonder what colour the carpet was, Jim would probably say, keep out of the black and stay in the red, there's nothing in this game for two in a bed!:hihi:

You have a door set flat into the surface of the earth do you? No, didn't think so.

If you have a plane that is at right angles to the incident radiation then it's the same power as one anywhere else on the planet. That's the point, which you appear to be missing. It's even on the first few pages of that document - the solar constant. The word *constant* should give it away that it's the same and unchanging.....

You were saying the sun's intensity was the same regardless of latitude a couple of posts back. Now you seem to be wriggling because what you said before was twaddle.

I've never come upon anyone on this forum who was more prepared than you to post such utter rubbish in order not to admit he had no idea what he was talking about. You might be able toblind the kids at school with that load of claptrap, but it won't wash here.

You were saying the sun's intensity was the same regardless of latitude a couple of posts back. Now you seem to be wriggling because what you said before was twaddle.

I've never come upon anyone on this forum who was more prepared than you to post such utter rubbish in order not to admit he had no idea what he was talking about. You might be able toblind the kids at school with that load of claptrap, but it won't wash here.

Do you think that the suns intensity changes as you move around it in space? Do you think that if you were say over the poles of the sun that it would be dimmer?

Of course not. So why do you think that the suns intensity changes just because you move a few degrees up or down on the Earth?

It doesn't. Not at all. the heating effect on the Earth does change due to latitude because the ground becomes tilted away from the sun, but you don't have a door in the floor now do you? Doors stand upright and at some point in the day they will face the sun square on - and at that point they will get the same influx of radiation as anywhere else on the planet. Now if you shine that not inconsiderable amount of power - well over a kilowatt a square meter onto a lens, it'll do some damage if something happens to land at the focal point.

Now if you want to come to one of my lectures on this you are more than welcome, but it's a bit above the schoolchildren level so I hope you won't object if a lot of it goes over your head.

Do you think that the suns intensity changes as you move around it in space? Do you think that if you were say over the poles of the sun that it would be dimmer?

Of course not. So why do you think that the suns intensity changes just because you move a few degrees up or down on the Earth?

It doesn't. Not at all. the heating effect on the Earth does change due to latitude because the ground becomes tilted away from the sun, but you don't have a door in the floor now do you? Doors stand upright and at some point in the day they will face the sun square on - and at that point they will get the same influx of radiation as anywhere else on the planet. Now if you shine that not inconsiderable amount of power - well over a kilowatt a square meter onto a lens, it'll do some damage if something happens to land at the focal point.

Now if you want to come to one of my lectures on this you are more than welcome, but it's a bit above the schoolchildren level so I hope you won't object if a lot of it goes over your head.

I see you've totally lost the plot now.

I love the bit about the lectures though. :D:D:D That's the best joke in years. I think you come across as someone who comes off the street into the local library for a warm. I guess the posts will stop once the library shuts and they put you back on the street.

By the way. The thread is about a carpet. They are on the floor which once again spreads out the sun rays as stated by the Cranfield chap.. Shame that because it rather sinks that pile of poo that you posted.

Archived