Petrol Pump Rip Off ?

Bruno

I can understand the decimal side of it, it's when you have stopped dispensing fuel, fingers off the trigger it's when placing it back to the pump then it flicks up a penny.

The pumps (digital or analogue displays) work [mechanically] the same way. It's possible that the analogue display is slower to change than digital which is why you see it change after you've stopped dispensing.

There is no rip off, it's just maths and/or physics as angel22 explained. The only rip off is the amount of duty and vat per litre. That's currently about 82p per litre!

The pumps (digital or analogue displays) work [mechanically] the same way. It's possible that the analogue display is slower to change than digital which is why you see it change after you've stopped dispensing.

There is no rip off, it's just maths and/or physics as angel22 explained. The only rip off is the amount of duty and vat per litre. That's currently about 82p per litre!

Suppose that could be possible, but that's quite a long time from finishing despensing to re-seating the pump, I shall double check the next time I fill up, I'll try to land on £19.99 stop despensing and wait longer before replacing the pump.

What I forgot to say is when I mentioned to the cashier what had happened she did take off the 1p, I wasn't being funny I just pointed out that it seems wrong, she said quite a few people complain.... Perhaps all of us who are aware of this thread could try the the above on next fill up...

To be fair, if the cashier understands why it happens, they probably will knock the penny off. The problem is, most customers don't understand that that's how it works and just rant at the cashier or make some acerbic comment about it. The cashier isn't paid to listen to such comments so why would they want to knock the penny off even if they knew? £20 is about the most popular amount of fuel put into cars on the forecourt (I know, I run two petrol stations) so when the price stops £20 exactly being put in, you can imagine how many comments are made!

You are pumping fuel into your tank.

You stop.

The trigger shuts off at the nozzle.

There is now a hose full of fuel.

As you replace the nozzle back to the holder, part of the hose loops down lower.

This increases the syphonic effect and an extra little dribble pulls past the flow meter.

With current prices it only takes about a teaspoon to flick it up another penny.

No-one is cheating anyone.

Archived