Petrol Pump Rip Off ?

Bruno

What's all the fuss about anyway? What good is a penny? Surely, anyway, its easier to pay a round figure, not having to wait for the 1p change if you pay cash, and if you pay by card, it doesnt make any difference.

I usually wait until my tank is about half to quarter full, and then just top up to the top - simples!!!

Yes, but they say your consumption increases with having to drag the weight of all that fuel. Long journey maybe otherwise smaller amounts.

Does it really make that much difference? My car's consumption seems to increase when it gets below half full, but that's just my eyes and the fuel gauge, which may not be scientifically accurate :D

Does it really make that much difference? My car's consumption seems to increase when it gets below half full, but that's just my eyes and the fuel gauge, which may not be scientifically accurate :D

Who knows, who even cares, it's just what I heard.

Know what you mean about the guage though, it does give the impression that the fuel is getting used at an alarming rate once it's passed half way.

The reason you sometimes can't put exactly £10 or £20 into your car is simply down to maths...

There may be another reason - down to physics.

Liquids (including petrol) ar not compressible, but the pipe which runs from the meter to the fuel nozzle does expand under pressure. The fuel switch is at the nozzle end, the meter is at the other end.

When the pump turns off (after the customer before you finishes fuelling) the pump continues to turn and pumps perhaps a penny worth of fuel into the hose, expanding it slightly - a penny worth of fuel for which he paid.

When you put the nozzle into your fuel tank and open the fuel switch, the hose contracts (because the pressure reduced) and you get a free penny worth of fuel.

When you stop fuelling, you pay for the fuel used to re-pressurize (and expand) the hose.

It's a tiny amount, but given that petrol costs about 1.40 a litre, we're talking about 7.14 cc of fuel. Roughly 1 and a half teaspoons full.

'What you gain on the roundabouts, you lose on the swings'- or alternatively, what you get for free when you turn the pump on, you lose when you turn it off.

There was an AA survey recently showing that on average petrol pumps give you more petrol than you have paid for.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19190048

Inaccurate counters on pumps at petrol stations mean drivers are getting up to 4.4% more fuel than they have paid for, the AA has said.

The motoring organisation tested pumps after members were concerned they were not getting enough petrol.

But it found that all nozzles dispensed at least the right amount with many giving more fuel.

The AA said this sometimes amounted to a 6p-a-litre gift to drivers at a time of high fuel prices.

Archived