Bravery of arranged marriage survivor

I think she insults her sisters who are still suffering at the hands of their oppressors by claiming that Islam is a religion of equality.

Islam is not a religion of equality, any more than are Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, etc. Some believers interpret the 'holy scriptures' more liberally than others, ignoring the particulalrly grim bits, while the hardliners/fundies do their best to impose entirely literal interpretations.

However, as is the case in all other religions, individual Muslims have their own personal views of which bits they need to adhere to. You'll rarely hear a believer (of any faith) say, "my god says this, but I don't agree." They all believe that their god thinks like them, and most religious texts are incoherent and contradictory enough to allow almost any position to be supported. So, believers conceptualise their god and their faith to match their own beliefs and prejudices.

Most British Muslims are ordinary, hard-working people. Some may hold illiberal views on equality, etc., but few are bothered to do much about it. The same could be said of many British non-Muslims - the increasing prominence of the likes of the EDL, UKIP and BNP is just the tip of the iceberg; an indication of a certain hardening in attitudes.

As far as I'm concerned; all religions are inherently stupid and based almost entirely on ancient falsehoods. Islam is no exception, but it does none of us any good to demonise Muslims.

I'm not so sure about the equality bit. There is gender inequality in the Sharia courts. Also a London university has banned an Islamic organisation from taking part in events on its campus after the group hosted a debate with seating segregated by gender.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/15/ucl-bans-islamic-group-over-segregation

How is gender segregation an infringement of equality?

If the event was equally open to both genders to attend and participate, then where is the inequality?

May be the atheists should also be complaining about gender segregation in toilets/prisons/sports and some schools...but I ain't heard anything yet.

I would be more concerned with what some of these leading atheist (so called thinkers) have stated:

L. Krauss: "Incest is not clearly wrong"

Dawkins: "Rape is arbitrary"

P Singer: "There is nothing wrong with bestiality"

And they want to create a scene around segregating men and women in a joined debate?! :hihi:

Well, of course there have never been any arranged marriage in the UK, have there?

Charlie Wingnut's Auntie was never forbidden to marry Peter Townshend, was she?

Charlie himself was never forbidden to marry Camilla Shand, was he?

There's a long list of unreported bravery in the UK.

Well, of course there have never been any arranged marriage in the UK, have there?

Charlie Wingnut's Auntie was never forbidden to marry Peter Townshend, was she?

Charlie himself was never forbidden to marry Camilla Shand, was he?

There's a long list of unreported bravery in the UK.

There is a major difference between being forbidden to marry someone and being forced to marry someone. For a start if you disagree you can always clear off and marry them anyhow.

I must confess I have at times taken home lads who my folks wouldn't have in the house, but they never resorted to sticking me on a flight to Karachi and forcing me to marry my cousin.

There is a major difference between being forbidden to marry someone and being forced to marry someone. For a start if you disagree you can always clear off and marry them anyhow.

I must confess I have at times taken home lads who my folks wouldn't have in the house, but they never resorted to sticking me on a flight to Karachi and forcing me to marry my cousin.

Didn't happen, though, did it?

When people in the UK complain about arranged marriages (and I too feel they are very wrong) let's not forget that they do happen - and they're not just confined to ethnic minorities.

Didn't happen, though, did it?

When people in the UK complain about arranged marriages (and I too feel they are very wrong) let's not forget that they do happen - and they're not just confined to ethnic minorities.

Well of course they are wrong, and I'm aware they happen in this country, but I'm not aware of any that haven't involved the ethnic minorities that have happened in my lifetime.

How is gender segregation an infringement of equality?

If the event was equally open to both genders to attend and participate, then where is the inequality?

May be the atheists should also be complaining about gender segregation in toilets/prisons/sports and some schools...but I ain't heard anything yet.

I would be more concerned with what some of these leading atheist (so called thinkers) have stated:

L. Krauss: "Incest is not clearly wrong"

Dawkins: "Rape is arbitrary"

P Singer: "There is nothing wrong with bestiality"

And they want to create a scene around segregating men and women in a joined debate?! :hihi:

The women usually have to sit at the back..

Here is some more gender segregation

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/06/28/saudi-arabian-womens-conference-picture_n_3515062.html

Archived