Policewomen killed today- should UK Police be armed?

One of the reasons for punishment is to express the abhorrence of society towards a particular crime.

There are (IMO) occasions where the imposition of an extremely long sentence is appropriate. This is one of those occasions.

Two consecutive (not concurrent) life sentences, with an additional 10 years (consecutive) on each count for use of a firearm might be reasonable, with a minimum tariff of 150 years.

That might send the right message.

One of the reasons for punishment is to express the abhorrence of society towards a particular crime.

There are (IMO) occasions where the imposition of an extremely long sentence is appropriate. This is one of those occasions.

Two consecutive (not concurrent) life sentences, with an additional 10 years (consecutive) on each count for use of a firearm might be reasonable, with a minimum tariff of 150 years.

That might send the right message.

Sadly the message would only apply to anyone with cognitive reasoning. You could reintroduce the rack and it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference IMO.

Where do I say otherwise?

No argument with his description.

I was replying your bold bit below (sorry I can't do the fancy cut quotes thing). where you said you did not think the actions fitted BFs profile - I thought they did .

Originally Posted by boyfriday

I'd not hang him, but I'd be quite happy for him to be urinated on publicly before spending the rest of his life in prison (which he's likely to do).

In fact I was wondering whether he fully intended this to be his last stand, since he was in the frame for two gangland murders, which would attract 30+ year sentences anyway, so in his small brain he thought he'd 'take out a few coppers' for good measure...he probably intended them to be burly men in riot gear though, rather than a couple of unarmed lasses, which among his prison cohorts will make him look rather pathetic and sad

To me the oddest facet of this sorry business is the alleged killer's decision to turn himself in. I don't really think it fits in with your profile of him.

I'd not hang him, but I'd be quite happy for him to be urinated on publicly before spending the rest of his life in prison (which he's likely to do).

The sad thing is that he'd probably prefer prison.

Outside he's just a sad little man who uses violence and illegal activities because he can't cut it in the real world. Inside he'll have notoriety for his hard man status, never have to do a lick of work his whole life, yet still get free bed and board.

The sad thing is that he'd probably prefer prison.

I think as of now that's probably the case alchresearch, but when the judge's gavel falls on a possible whole life or 40+ years sentence (assuming he's charged and found guilty of course), his attitude might soon change.

Outside he's just a sad little man who uses violence and illegal activities because he can't cut it in the real world. Inside he'll have notoriety for his hard man status, never have to do a lick of work his whole life, yet still get free bed and board.

I agree, but it's a hollow 'victory', in the depths of the night with only himself for company, an emotionally immature, 29yo 'child' will soon appreciate the loss of his macho lifestyle, freedom to associate with who he wants to, not being able to have a partner/kids etc.

I rarely have such extreme or mediaeval views about people, but if he's done what we believe he has I've nothing but hatred for him, people like him make us all poorer spiritually and I wish I could take a more reflective view.

My biggest worry is that its becoming more common - same neck of the woods, just a few months ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/26/kiaran-stapleton-anuj-bidve-killer

Kiaran Stapleton 'has no real feeling for what he has done'

When he was asked during the trial by the prosecution barrister Brian Cummings QC if he hoped the psychiatric reports considering the issue of diminished responsibility would be in his favour, Stapleton replied: "To be honest, I'm not bothered. I love prison. I watch Coronation Street. I have got a fat canteen. I love prison. Lock me up for 65 years."

Glancing over to the jury from the witness box, he added, echoing a phrase from the comedian Catherine Tate's show: "Does this face look bothered? I have even got a new rug and bedding coming for my cell. I'm not bothered."

It was even claimed that James Bulgers killers got a better life in prison than they did at home - warm place to sleep, clean clothes and hot meals.

When prison is better than the life they have, that's not a good reflection on society or punishment.

My biggest worry is that its becoming more common - same neck of the woods, just a few months ago:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/jul/26/kiaran-stapleton-anuj-bidve-killer

Kiaran Stapleton 'has no real feeling for what he has done'

It was even claimed that James Bulgers killers got a better life in prison than they did at home - warm place to sleep, clean clothes and hot meals.

When prison is better than the life they have, that's not a good reflection on society or punishment.

Here's the bit that's really chilling of that charming character...It beggars belief!

In April, Stapleton threw a mop bucket of boiling water laced with sugar (so it would stick to skin causing further injuries) over the head of prisoner Michael Sharp, who was badly scalded. Stapleton described his victim as "the wing bully" on the high-security wing of HMP Manchester.

He then carried on the assault using billiard balls in a sock, assisted by two Salford friends armed with pool cues.

What a charmer! :loopy:

Archived