Policewomen killed today- should UK Police be armed?

These incidents are still very rare. One day when we get robots as policemen then these robots will have the ability to think and react to any situation in a nano second. Until then we have to rely on human ability which of course is hardly infallible

Which is a good reason not to arm the police as standard.

Perhaps not at present in the UK but if the use of guns in crimes start to become more and more common in the coming decades then arming the police might become a necessity.

What defence does an unarmed police office have against a criminal with a gun after all? Bullet proofe vests? You cant wear a bullet proof vest over the head and tasers are no good unless you can make close contact.

Will they be trained like the police in New York recently, where the police were chasing one lone gun man, and they managed to shoot nine innocent members of the public.

So to sum up the incident. Eleven people were shoot, ten by the police. Two dead, the original victim targeted by the murderer and the murderer himself.

Thats the americans for you, who the hell is on about the yanks, stop compairing this flipping country with that gun ho place, nowts changed their since the wild west days, so talk about this country and changes that are needed to keep our police safe and one step ahead of criminals, for godsake the criminals have guns so arm our deterrent THE POLICE.:rant:

Thats the americans for you, who the hell is on about the yanks, stop compairing this flipping country with that gun ho place, nowts changed their since the wild west days, so talk about this country and changes that are needed to keep our police safe and one step ahead of criminals, for godsake the criminals have guns so arm our deterrent THE POLICE.:rant:

"nowts" "compairing" "their" :hihi: Least when I grew up in Sheffield we were taught to speak and spell the English language reasonably well even if it wasnt at anywhere near university level.

What's your excuse? If I were as bad and as semi- illiterate as you I would be ashamed to show it. I would instead hide it away in a dark inner recess of my mind... but you dont have one... that's the problem :hihi:

"nowts" "compairing" "their" :hihi: Least when I grew up in Sheffield we were taught to speak and spell the English language reasonably well even if it wasnt at anywhere near university level.

What's your excuse? If I were as bad and as semi- illiterate as you I would be ashamed to show it. I would instead hide it away in a dark inner recess of my mind... but you dont have one... that's the problem :hihi:

Stick to the topic, wanna be Yankee, I'm proud to be a Yorkshire man, accent anall, so if tha's got a problem wi it, tell it to someone who cares. :loopy:

Stick to the topic, wanna be Yankee, I'm proud to be a Yorkshire man, accent anall, so if tha's got a problem wi it, tell it to someone who cares. :loopy:

It's more than just an accent involved here. It's a case of criminal abuse of the English language. The language of Shakespeare and Dickens. JB Priestley was a Yorkshiresman with the accent to go with it but he didnt sound like a council estate chav : :D He was a highly educated man with a provincial accent- that's all.

However, to be of some comfort to you a Saxon pig farmer around the time of the Norman conquest might have just been about able to understand some of your dialogue :hihi:

Oh BTW. Cease following me around on threads and chipping in with your moronic Yank hating comments. You were the instigator in this one. Let it drop

These incidents are still very rare. One day when we get robots as policemen then these robots will have the ability to think and react to any situation in a nano second. Until then we have to rely on human ability which of course is hardly infallible

It's a good reason not to arm British Police as standard.

There are many (very many!) American police who shouldn't be trusted with a toilet roll - let al one a Cruiser or a gun -but the professional police (and I''d start from '' County Mountie'' upwards) are usually pretty good.

I am (or used to be, when I was in practice [and could see for a long way] an ''expert shot." [ Used to shoot for the Air Force ... not only do I not miss, but I tend to hit exactly what I'm shooting at. - Huge amounts of practice (at about a quid around) and a bit of inherent talent.

I've seen what happens when bullets (of various calibres and with various charges) hit people. - One of the reasons I was shown that was to make me think twice before I ever fired at somebody.

Should the UK ever be daft enough to go for a fully-armed Police force, then you (the people) had better start thinking about digging your hands very deep into your pockets.

Properly trained firearms policemen cost money. Huge amounts of money. - Not only do you have to spend a fortune training them , but you also have to spend a fortune vetting them to make sure you've got the right people.

Other countries did that, the Brits did not.

The last thing you need is a bunch of ''cowgirl'' policemen with guns.

I live (from next Wednesday until the beginning of May) in a country where Policemen are armed. - Most of them are a little better than you might expect to get.

I also live (this made me laugh!) 'Where the bad-tempered colonels live'.

We''re not bad tempered. There are loads of Colonels - but some of us are Majors and some are Generals.

A few things we do tend to have in common, however, are that not only are we 'entitled to bear arms', but many of us used to do so (and we do tend to know not only how thwey work, but which end the bullet comes out of.)

We're a bunch of old has-beens. - I doubt I could hit a half-barn door at 1000 metres.

We had a robbery. Three gentlemen of the Hispanic persuasion ''broke in'' (walked under the [at that time very lax] security gate. - They didn't even have one packet of Skittles on their pockets.

They went to their target house and knocked it over - the residents were away.

They were seen. The people who saw them didn''t bother calling ''security'' (who are, in fact, a group of rather large and careless - you might fall over- people.)

They called their friends. When the blaggers arrived at the North gate (where they were hoping to get out) they were met by a bunch of really bad-tempered Colonels.

Apparently these Gentlemen fell over themselves to make retribution. - Judging by the injuries they managed to cause themselves, some fo them must have fallen over very many times! :o

We haven't been burgled since ... and that's (perhaps) why we're known as the bad-tempered Colonels.

It's wrong. We're not at all bad tempered - but should you (or one of your buddies) attempt to interfere with me (or one of my old-fart friends) then although we won''t kill you [read up on the Forida 'Stand your ground' law]

I wouldn't bother arming the Police. - Arm the people and let God (orthe law) sort it out.

Here's a way you could do it. Amend the law to say: "If you trespass upon my property and if you threaten me or any person under my protection with harm, I am entitled to beat your brains all the way through your arse. And if I use a 12 gauge to do so, so be it.

I don't think it''s really a good idea to see armed police - mainly because I do know how to train people to use firearms (I was a Strike command Range Instructor ... when they thought I had far more important things to do ;) but I've no problem with armed citizens ... provided that they are trained and qualified to bear arms.

The best thing would be to forget about guns.

YOu aren''t going to stop the crooks - buns are far more readily available nowadays than tey have ever been.

A 10/20/3040/50 year sentence as a ''boly on'' - a term which is non-negotaible might work as a deterrent.

You could always open a Rupert Prison. (look up the posts.)

It's more than just an accent involved here. It's a case of criminal abuse of the English language. The language of Shakespeare and Dickens. JB Priestley was a Yorkshiresman with the accent to go with it but he didnt sound like a council estate chav : :D He was a highly educated man with a provincial accent- that's all.

However, to be of some comfort to you a Saxon pig farmer around the time of the Norman conquest might have just been about able to understand some of your dialogue :hihi:

Oh BTW. Cease following me around on threads and chipping in with your moronic Yank hating comments. You were the instigator in this one. Let it drop

What all this got to do with the topic in hand. Criminal abuse ect, just because someone tells it like it is about America, go and see a doctor, your not an American, please please get help.:loopy:

To come back to the gun question, I think it is okay if policemen and women are not armed. In other countries policemen always were weapons which I find really frightening I have to say. However, in case there are serious indications of people wearing and using weapons - no matter which kind - I think it is good to have a specialized force to send there. They need to protect themselves.

I agree with earlier posts on the bail issue. How this man, suspected of being involved in murder, was ever allowed out on bail amazes and disgusts me. Someone made a bad decision there and this mistake should never be repeated.

If there is not enough evidence he has to be bailed. Think about the alternative, you wouldnt like that.

Archived