Policewomen killed today- should UK Police be armed?

I joined the police knowing that I wouldn't be armed, I still don't want to be armed. I believe that routinely arming the police would lead to an increase in criminals carrying firearms, something that I certainly would not like to see. I've read somewhere it's something around 1 in 7 police officers that are shot from forces that routinely arm, are shot with their own weapon. I police by consent, not with firearms. I don't want police with guns to become the norm, children ask to see my handcuffs, my baton. I wouldn't want them asking to see my gun.

i think the most important question is where did this guy get a bloody grenade from ?????????
This. I noted the media yesterday were rather conspicuous in their ineptitude to ask the 'correct' or important questions.

The ability and ease of procuring 'black market' firearms is bad enough these days, but grenades?

What next, RPGs? :gag:

There is no reason whatsoever for this man to be allowed remain live. He should be given a fair trial then executed. He will never be any good for anything.
No point hiding my reactionary tendencies on that score - this also (...though we all know it's never going to happen anyway).

I joined the police knowing that I wouldn't be armed, I still don't want to be armed. I believe that routinely arming the police would lead to an increase in criminals carrying firearms, something that I certainly would not like to see. I've read somewhere it's something around 1 in 7 police officers that are shot from forces that routinely arm, are shot with their own weapon. I police by consent, not with firearms. I don't want police with guns to become the norm, children ask to see my handcuffs, my baton. I wouldn't want them asking to see my gun.

I agree 100% with you.

Although this tragic event has opened the debate again, I think it's just a knee jerk reaction; which is very understandable.

However, If you look at the stats, this kind of thing happens very rarely. I don't think the 2 officers would have stood a chance even if they did have guns. They were lured to their untimely deaths. They didn't stand a chance. It was an ambush.

Arming the police could also lead to the death of innocent people. Even carefully trained armed response units can make mistakes, as happened when Jean Charles de Menezes was killed.

Not to mention the fact that arming the police will encourage criminals to carry guns on a more regular basis.

A tragic situation for the families of the policewomen.

As an aunt of two serving policemen, I know they accept the job can be dangerous, but this was a really nasty trap. Most of us will never come into contact with people like Cregan, but the police do on a daily basis. I thank them.

I do not think that would be common sense at all tbh, i think the only common sense approach is a zero tolerance policy for guns, if your caught carrying one or using one either way should be a life prison sentence.

The only problem with that is that if you are going to get life for carrying the gun, and if you use it you still only get life, then you may as well remove any witnesses by killing them. Less chance of getting caught.

I was there yesterday I was on the M67 and it looked as though it had just happened there was police everywhere they had six or seven guys face down on the ground in the car park, most of the police were carry guns it was like a war zone I was probably the last truck to get past as I heard as I was going over the woodhead that they had closed the M67,sad day for the police and there loss of two unarmed policewomen just doing their job,I feel sorry for the families of the two policewomen.

Archived