Policewomen killed today- should UK Police be armed?

I just wonder what the 'alleged' purpotrator was doing out on 'bail'. Apparently he was arrested some 3 months prior to this, suspected of shooting someone in a pub!

What on earth was someone thinking when they gave him bail for such a serious crime?

My opinion, is that something that serious warrants the 'suspect' locked up until such time as the investigation rules them out, or they are formally charged.

Someones decision to let him out on bail, put not only the lives of those poor policewomen who walked into a trap at risk, but every other member of the public too.

The parents of the dead officers are likely to be mourning the loss of their exceptional children, I doubt very much they'll be reflecting on any 'Victorian views', there was no need to turn it into the usual hang em all route.
I certainly would not turn it into a usual "hang em all route"..........but I would certainly hang this one!

I certainly would not turn it into a usual "hang em all route"..........but I would certainly hang this one!

I'd not hang him, but I'd be quite happy for him to be urinated on publicly before spending the rest of his life in prison (which he's likely to do).

In fact I was wondering whether he fully intended this to be his last stand, since he was in the frame for two gangland murders, which would attract 30+ year sentences anyway, so in his small brain he thought he'd 'take out a few coppers' for good measure...he probably intended them to be burly men in riot gear though, rather than a couple of unarmed lasses, which among his prison cohorts will make him look rather pathetic and sad ;)

I don't think male officers are any better equipped to dodge bullets than female ones are.

In fact there is some evidence that woman officers tackling an armed assailant have more success in placating them so the situation doesn't escalate into violence.

Share it with us?

Its amazing what a quick Google can find:

women offer an underlying physical advantage making them just as competent as their male colleague. Women tend to use a style of policing that relies more on (physical) communication rather than physical force. Women have been accredited for a more community-oriented style of policing and thus more effective at handling domestic disturbances or violent incidents. “Women are better at diffusing a situation; they tend to listen more before they react.” Women have been recognized for using less excessive force than men, yet women are not reluctant to use force when necessary.

http://www.criminaljusticeschoolguide.com/articles/the-challenges-and-benefits-of-female-officers-in-law-enforcement/

Yes but what is this experience?

:)

I think the more salient point is what your 'experience' is to have this view of what female officers should or shouldn't be permitted to do.

Female officers dont do patrols, arrests, wear riot gear, are put anywhere near the front line.

That sort of thing.

Yes but what is this experience?

:)

I have worked within the security industry and have had first hand experience of female officers being better equipped to handle violent and abusive men, for the simple fact of males don't like male officers and tend to argue try to fight with them more often, I have seen on many occasions male officers struggling to handle drunk and disorderly men, where as female officers have a much calmer way about them and men don't tend to flare up when a female officer is dealing with them, because their is for lack of a better way to put it less sport in it.

Archived