Policewomen killed today- should UK Police be armed?

http://news.uk.msn.com/minutes-silence-for-murdered-pcs-1

called to a routine burglary, those poor female officers probably thought they were just going to take some statements and record what had been stolen, men or women it wouldn't have mattered i don't think, and i don't think it would have made an ounce of difference to the gunman either

Tazers are ample, and in some areas I'd routinely arm police with them. Ok, if you have a dicky ticker you might die but you'd have a better chance than with a bullet. As tragic as the event in mottram is, it isn't common.

That said If I was a policeman, I'd dispense summery justice with my tazer, whether they are needed or not on car thieves, burglars etc. Its probably best I'm not a policeman.

I just wonder what the 'alleged' purpotrator was doing out on 'bail'. Apparently he was arrested some 3 months prior to this, suspected of shooting someone in a pub!

What on earth was someone thinking when they gave him bail for such a serious crime?

My opinion, is that something that serious warrants the 'suspect' locked up until such time as the investigation rules them out, or they are formally charged.

Someones decision to let him out on bail, put not only the lives of those poor policewomen who walked into a trap, but every other member of the public too.

Totally agree with you.

I have worked within the security industry and have had first hand experience of female officers being better equipped to handle violent and abusive men, for the simple fact of males don't like male officers and tend to argue try to fight with them more often, I have seen on many occasions male officers struggling to handle drunk and disorderly men, where as female officers have a much calmer way about them and men don't tend to flare up when a female officer is dealing with them, because their is for lack of a better way to put it less sport in it.
So what went tragically wrong here then for two female officers?................sounds like they should still be with us!

So what went tragically wrong here then for two female officers?................sounds like they should still be with us!

A luntic decided to ambush and kill, cant do anything in that situation, just like the blue on green killings in afganistan

As the title of this thread suggests, this thread is about showing respect for two police officers who lost their lives.

I have posted on the thread, so I won't be moderating it. However, I suggest just as a user, that if people don't stop arguing with each other about the place of women in the police force, it will probably be closed.

As the title of this thread suggests, this thread is about showing respect for two police officers who lost their lives.

I have posted on the thread, so I won't be moderating it. However, I suggest just as a user, that if people don't stop arguing with each other about the place of women in the police force, it will probably be closed.

I don't see this as arguing, in a section called general discussions, i think that we are discussing this issue which at this moment in time is quite an important issue that affects everyone and needs to be discussed.

Archived