Why does football make grown men act like children

A game of football from a fans perspective can be like a 90 minute journey through life itself.

The anticipation, excitement, nervousness, fear, joy, despair, heartache, agony, extasy, happiness, sadness, anger, relief, boredom, fairplay, cheating, humour, the atmosphere .... each game potentially bringing those emotions, and sometimes more. Those who don't like football or who think all fans are drunks and thugs will never appreciate what it's like for millions of people around the world, and not just men.

I find it quite strange that you feel so many emotions watching a football game tbh :huh:

You're not on your own, the whole experience seems to fuelled by drunkeness, racist chanting and violence directed towards the opposing team. Its only kept going by the revenue it generates, not to appease the sub humans that follow the game!

Utter rubbish sedith !

I find it quite strange that you feel so many emotions watching a football game tbh :huh:

Not every game but many of those in some at various times, your either into football or your not, me I have been attending games since 1968 and the thuggish, drunken aspect is often greatly exaggerated IMHO !

You're not on your own, the whole experience seems to fuelled by drunkeness, racist chanting and violence directed towards the opposing team. Its only kept going by the revenue it generates, not to appease the sub humans that follow the game!

well you obviously have no idea what actually goes on at a football game and instead formed your opinion from reading crap like the daily mail and the like.

A game of football from a fans perspective can be like a 90 minute journey through life itself.

The anticipation, excitement, nervousness, fear, joy, despair, heartache, agony, extasy, happiness, sadness, anger, relief, boredom, fairplay, cheating, humour, the atmosphere .... each game potentially bringing those emotions, and sometimes more. Those who don't like football or who think all fans are drunks and thugs will never appreciate what it's like for millions of people around the world, and not just men.

I can appreciate where you're coming from on this and I expect all those emotions are there. The problem is that it's up to 40,000 people, all with those emotions, but it's not just for 90 minutes. It's anything up to 3 hours before and 3 hours after. That's 7 1/2 hours, where disinterested or local residents have all that emotion and testosterone about them. It's flippin intimidating. Personally, no matter what the circumstances, I won't go anywhere near Hillsborough on a match day, not even just to pass through it.

I can appreciate where you're coming from on this and I expect all those emotions are there. The problem is that it's up to 40,000 people, all with those emotions, but it's not just for 90 minutes. It's anything up to 3 hours before and 3 hours after. That's 7 1/2 hours, where disinterested or local residents have all that emotion and testosterone about them. It's flippin intimidating. Personally, no matter what the circumstances, I won't go anywhere near Hillsborough on a match day, not even just to pass through it.

Thats fine and i understand your reluctance to do so (who would want to fight there way through a crown of 20,000+!) but do you think that all of those people are drunken, racist yobs like some people are suggesting?

Im interested to get another perspective on how other people perceive football fans.

Thats fine and i understand your reluctance to do so (who would want to fight there way through a crown of 20,000+!) but do you think that all of those people are drunken, racist yobs like some people are suggesting?

Im interested to get another perspective on how other people perceive football fans.

The majority of football fans are fine, but like anything in life it's the minority that ruin it for the rest, now do the good fans that dont cause trouble think that the thugs should be banned from games etc would that not make the sport better for everyone and more importantly them ?, a zero tolerance policy against football violence and disruption to the public ?

If the thugs ruin it for the other fans and they dont all like being branded thugs why do the good fans not take it upon themselves to report the bad guys and keep them out of the game ?

i have no problem with 20,000+ people going and having a good day and some fun watching football but it only take's one person to start a fight and in a crowd like 20,000+ a small fight will quickly turn into a big fight.

No I don't think they are all drunken racist yobs. Clearly, a minority are, and use it to their own ends (whatever the hell that is). The majority are just passionate about their particular club.

It's just that (lets say) I was to walk past on a matchday, half hour before kickoff, and have to negotiate my way through crowds of singing, shouting, burly blokes. It does actually frighten me! Call me a wimp if you like, but I don't like crowds at the best of times, never mind through a bunch of people where you know, some are drunk, some are out to pick a fight (yes only a minority), and some who take exception to a second glance. It would be just my luck to 'look' at someone (who takes exceptions to it) in the wrong way.

Whichever way you look at it, it's a frightening and intimidating experience.

40,000 at hillsborough! yeah! in the 1920s, :hihi:

Archived