Wood lane country side center review - Wedding

Lewjam

We used Wood Lane as our reception venue for our wedding in August and had mixed feelings about the place.

Firstly the good:

For a small wedding it’s a pleasant place to be, a nice sized room suitable for a meal and dancing for around 80 people (any more and it starts getting a little cramped as we found in our evening doo). There is also a smaller barn that we used as a games room to pass the time between the meal and the evening doo.

The place has gardens and areas to have photographs taken which are great on the nice day.

The other good thing about the venue is that you book everything your self, which is the main reason we picked it. Get your own food, beer and entertainment in.

We enjoyed the day, and everything we organised went very smoothly.

We paid around £900 for the venue, and for its basic nature, we felt that was a fair price.

Now to the not so good:

The biggest issues we had related to the people who were organising things from the centres end. The management changed a couple of times before our wedding which probably didn’t help as we were constantly having to chase things up as we were not getting replies.

· We agreed contracts and what would be included when we paid our deposit, however a few months before the wedding we got an invoice saying we had to pay an additional £50 for a Janitor. “because they didn’t realise they needed one before”

· We were promised a PDA system would be installed for the wedding with speakers and such, but it didn’t turn up so we had to rent our own at a fair cost

· The centre took our £100 deposit and wouldn’t return it for a couple of areas of “damage” that were not present when we inspected the area on leaving with the Janitor. Even so, this “damage” even if real couldn’t have amounted to more then £30.

The main thing with the place is we just felt they really have got into the “wedding” frame of mind, that money is nothing to people getting married so lets try and squeeze as much out as we can.

For example to rent the whole place for the weekend cost us £900, however to have the ceremony there costs an addition £500. I asked what exactly I would be getting for my £500 since I already had all the buildings, I was told staff must be present for the ceremony (2 staff for 2 hours or £125/hour per staff member) I would understand a surcharge to help cover the staff charges and the cost of the license, but £500 is incredible. (This didn’t include the registrars charges etc, only Woodlane staff to be present to “facilitate”).

Finally, to cap off my thoughts that the place is just trying to squeeze as much money out as they can the price has almost doubled for 2013. Nothing extra has been added, its still an un-air-conditioned barn overlooked by a large collage, but management feel they can get people to pay £1500 for the venue so why shouldn’t they???

It just epitomises everything I dislike about the wedding business. It started out different, which is why it’s been so popular, but its in danger of falling into the same traps as other venues. They only have to force you to use their own suppliers to be fully transformed.

Cheers

Lew

As a visiting DJ to the premises I have never met the management as they hand over the keys to the people hiring the venue which couples tell me is great but also a bit nerve wracking.

There is some confusion over the finish time for the music. Couples are told its midnight so DJs are told so. Then on the night someone comes along and orders the music off for 11.30. Neighbouring properties complain regularly about noise.

Finally beware if you use the lift. It jammed last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. Glass shattered and Kier had to be called to rescue the person stuck in there.

Other than that its a nice private location but I can't comment on prices.

Finally beware if you use the lift. It jammed last time I was there a couple of weeks ago. Glass shattered and Kier had to be called to rescue the person stuck in there.

I can't see how that's relevant to the actual venue, they can't be held responsible for potential mechanical malfunction.

I'm not sure if people chance it on the day with finish times. We're getting married at Woodlane next year and have known from when we booked that all music needs to be off at 11:30pm. There are houses really close so it's just considerate. I was disappointed when the price went up, but it's still one of the few venues in Sheffield that you can do a lot of 'DIY' and you can hold the ceremony there too. I haven't been recently, but from what I remember, when you're in the garden you can't see the school so you're not really over looked. Glad you enjoyed your day though, even if it brought a few niggles. P.S it will be interesting to keep an eye on your point about caterers.

I think with the music they say midnight, but must be "quiet" by 11.30.

That didn’t bother us that much if I’m honest because we were all done by then any way!

The lift did jam a number of times while we were using to too. But then again i would prefer it to be there then not as it did help with bringing in supplies.

Claiireee - Im sure you will have a great day all the same, i would be interested to know if you had already booked and signed up to the venue before they put the price up. Legally I’m fairly sure they cant just double the price and make you pay for it after you have agreed contracts. (That’s what irritated me about the £50 janitor – they just decided they could add it on, no questions asked!)

Either way that’s a warning for any one else thinking of booking in the future, when a venue starts getting away with stuff like that it gets a taste for it.

One final note – if you have a Summer wedding there – beware of the temperature. It’s a barn with no air conditioning or air circulation. On a hot still day it can be very sticky and uncomfortable when you get 80 people up there so it may be worth acquiring some fans or similar.

Me too!

We have just booked Wood Lane for March and will have 2 guests requiring the lift so hope it's fully functioning!

Regarding the price; we too were surprised at the price hike including the £500 for the ceremony. However with so few venues giving you a blank canvas like Wood Lane, they realise this and know that people like us will still scrimp to find the extra. Would be a real shame if they start to price people out which they are in danger of doing.

We had our wedding at woodlane in July this year.

We felt it was a great venue for a wedding of 80 (plus additional guests in the evening).

Music timing wan't an issue with us. Quieter music from 1130 and off by midnight was made clear and its in the contract.

There were a few niggles about picking up and dropping keys off. But its all very relaxed. This is a trade of to being allowed complete access.

You do need a second room for the guests be it either the smaller barn or a marquee, we used a marquee.

We felt the price was reasonable and allowed us to have no hidden costs and allowing us to have everything we wanted. From what I gather its difficult to find a wedding venue where you have complete control like this

£500 for a civil ceremony seems steep, we had a church wedding and it cost much less than that.

The cost of the Barn going up next year I fear is all about market forces. We got the barn due to a cancellation but It's become a very popular venue to use and they have way more interest than slots to fill.

I suspect they'll still fill the slots even with the higher rates.

Archived