Nick Clegg says 'sorry' about LibDems main election pledge!

Do you believe Nick Clegg is sorry?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe Nick Clegg is sorry?

• Yes
    • No

I didn't vote for him and never would however I think his apology, whilst meaningful, is too little too late.

That said..he only made this promise on the basis he got elected in. As it was, a coalition government was elected, so part of me does think why he needs to apologise anyway. If it was just the Lib Dems I'm sure he would have stuck to it but something had to give.

I think this whole issue is a non-story, or at least should be.

No party got a mandate to run the country and were therefore never in a position to deliver their manifesto in full. As the Conservatives and the Lib-Dems cobbled together a coalition, both would have to give up some of their intentions – it’s called compromise. IMO it is ridiculous to criticise Nick Clegg for not delivering on this promise, as he was never given the opportunity to deliver on it. Not enough people in the country voted for his party.

Spot on it seems, at least, no one who's whining about him appears able to actually say why in any logical or rational way.

No party got a mandate to run the country and were therefore never in a position to deliver their manifesto in full. As the Conservatives and the Lib-Dems cobbled together a coalition, both would have to give up some of their intentions – it’s called compromise. IMO it is ridiculous to criticise Nick Clegg for not delivering on this promise, as he was never given the opportunity to deliver on it. Not enough people in the country voted for his party.

Just tabloid manipulation on the people too stupid enough not to understand the concept of election promises. It's been posted at least three times on this thread yet there are still people who don't understand.

Clegg will be fine and have a long political career, just perhaps not in Sheffield where the level of ignorance seems to be higher.

Just tabloid manipulation on the people too stupid enough not to understand the concept of election promises.

That does appear to be the case.

It's been posted at least three times on this thread yet there are still people who don't understand.

Clegg will be fine and have a long political career, just perhaps not in Sheffield where the level of ignorance seems to be higher.

Indeed.

I'm not sure he will. Two universities in Sheffield so a whole bunch of students and lecturers who voted for him will twist the knife.

Has a deputy pm ever lost his seat at an election ?

Due to the pathetic performance of the Tories in Hallam Ward, Clegg is nailed on to be re-elected there.

The problem wasn't that he didn't deliver the promise on the manifesto, it's the way that he went from basing his entire party around the idea that tuition fees were bad and that they would oppose any increase, to telling his MPs to vote for the increase. This isn't just failing to deliver, that's doing a complete u-turn.

Of all the options available to him - asking his MPs to abstain, vote freely or campaigning for a longer review of options, amongst others - he chose the one which would cause the absolute most damage to his support.

I wonder when he'll apologise for his subsequent statements that only a very few universities & courses would be able to charge over £6500, and virtually none charging the full £9000+, despite everyone with an ounce of common sense predicting that every university would charge as much as possible, as happened last time they could set thier own fee levels.

Archived