Rotherham Real Ale Festival

dacrlit

Mr Steel City Ale - as a CAMRA member you would have only paid £2 to get in anyway.... and in fact if you went in on a trade ticket on the Wednesday could have gone back with your glass on Saturday and gained free entry!

Mr Steel City Ale - as a CAMRA member you would have only paid £2 to get in anyway.... and in fact if you went in on a trade ticket on the Wednesday could have gone back with your glass on Saturday and gained free entry!

well yes i blagged a freebie... but not everyone did, and some of my friends aren't members of the Beards And Guts Society and resent the idea of paying for 'music' (using the word very loosely!) they don't wanna hear

still, could have been worse, at least we've moved on from the days when it was assumed if you like real ale you must love morris dancing and jazz (bloody infernal tootling...)

I've never been to the Magna Beer Festival.

I'm not a member of CAMRA and if I did turn up it would be to pay on the door, but for me £12 is far too much for the pleasure of trying a few different beers. The music side of things is not my cup of tea, so effectively I'd be paying extra for something I don't want.

The Rising Sun, University and Three Valleys beer festivals on the other hand all have great beer on offer and are free to enter....It's a no brainer for me when I compare them.

I will be at BeerX in a couple of weeks, I think £5 is acceptable and being in the centre of Sheffield the location is far more accessible for most people.

Regards

Doom

still, could have been worse, at least we've moved on from the days when it was assumed if you like real ale you must love morris dancing and jazz (bloody infernal tootling...)

Exactly. The music may have tended towards "dad rock" but that's still a huge improvement on some of the stuff I've heard at beer festivals in the past.

It was noticable that the crowd on Friday night wasn't the usual beardie weirdies you get at a lot of these beer festivals, which is encouraging if you ask me.

Exactly. The music may have tended towards "dad rock" but that's still a huge improvement on some of the stuff I've heard at beer festivals in the past.

It was noticable that the crowd on Friday night wasn't the usual beardie weirdies you get at a lot of these beer festivals, which is encouraging if you ask me.

You tend to find Magna as a major event on the Rotherham calendar attracts a big crowd who go for a different night out and aren't actually that interested in the beer.

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 09:17 ----------

I've never been to the Magna Beer Festival.

I'm not a member of CAMRA and if I did turn up it would be to pay on the door, but for me £12 is far too much for the pleasure of trying a few different beers. The music side of things is not my cup of tea, so effectively I'd be paying extra for something I don't want.

The Rising Sun, University and Three Valleys beer festivals on the other hand all have great beer on offer and are free to enter....It's a no brainer for me when I compare them.

I will be at BeerX in a couple of weeks, I think £5 is acceptable and being in the centre of Sheffield the location is far more accessible for most people.

Regards

Doom

A agree, I wouldn't pay £12 to go in, luckily there is a generous discount for CAMRA members of which I am one!

Anyway, plug plug, Three Valleys this year is Saturday 8th June and is already looking good, whole list of venues taking part with a free bus between them every half hour.

You tend to find Magna as a major event on the Rotherham calendar attracts a big crowd who go for a different night out and aren't actually that interested in the beer.

It's funny you should say that, because my work colleague went for the first time on Saturday night and that's more or less what he said when I asked him about it.

He was a bit disappointed overall because most of the beers had gone, but I guess that's the problem when you attend a festival late on the last day. He got a free ticket though, so it wasn't too bad.

Regards

Doom

• 2 months later...
Still, could have been worse, at least we've moved on from the days when it was assumed if you like Real Ale you must love Morris Dancing and Jazz (bloody infernal tootling...)

I love Real Ale and Morris Dancing.

Archived