Rotherham Real Ale Festival

dacrlit

Is the New York festival back this year?

Missed it last time round and while I enjoyed Magna, I really do crave a decent beer festival in decent surroundings. Maybe it's right to look at pub-fests rather than the bigger one.

The Ponds Forge festival is nothing short of depressing.

I reccommend you try the Three Valleys event on 8th June if you can. I admit to being a bit biased here but it is a good day out, especially if the weather is decent.

Get yourself down to Dore station and the free bus service will pick you up and you can hop on and off every half hour at various pubs holding mini beer festivals. Many of the venues will have food and music as well as beer. For details http://www.threevalleysfestival.org.uk.

With regards to Rotherham CAMRA's New Yorks festival, keep an eye on their website for any news http://www.rotherhamcamra.org.uk

Is the New York festival back this year?

Missed it last time round and while I enjoyed Magna, I really do crave a decent beer festival in decent surroundings. Maybe it's right to look at pub-fests rather than the bigger one.

The Ponds Forge festival is nothing short of depressing.

I am sorry that you find The Sheffield CAMRA Real Ale Festival depressing. Anyway, The Rotherham CAMRA New York Festival should hopefully be returning, it is at the planning stage.

I just think that a city that is so soaked in Real Ale can come up with a better venue than a badminton hall in a leisure centre. Go grand, get Cutlers Hall or the City Hall. If you're going to use Ponds Forge, get it dressed up like they do for the big events there.

I certainly can't knock the beer on offer, but the old t-shirt stall and tombola look is very 1980s and only invites the stereotypes that go with it (if you're trying to get younger drinkers in - and more women drinkers - I'm not sure t-shirt stalls full of lairy sexist slogans is the way forward). My girlfriend loves her ale but found the whole night a disappointment. If you're night trying to get younger/female drinkers in, well you're alright aren't you?

It should be a celebration of Sheffield beer, but it seems very much a closed shop with no imagination that lags behind many other big cities in terms of the show it puts on.

I just think that a city that is so soaked in Real Ale can come up with a better venue than a badminton hall in a leisure centre. Go grand, get Cutlers Hall or the City Hall. If you're going to use Ponds Forge, get it dressed up like they do for the big events there.

I certainly can't knock the beer on offer, but the old t-shirt stall and tombola look is very 1980s and only invites the stereotypes that go with it (if you're trying to get younger drinkers in - and more women drinkers - I'm not sure t-shirt stalls full of lairy sexist slogans is the way forward). My girlfriend loves her ale but found the whole night a disappointment. If you're night trying to get younger/female drinkers in, well you're alright aren't you?

It should be a celebration of Sheffield beer, but it seems very much a closed shop with no imagination that lags behind many other big cities in terms of the show it puts on.

Ponds Forge is going grand! Big expensive flagship venue that the festival can grow into!

Cutlers Hall was looked at but Cutlers company wouldn't entertain such an event there during the daytime and City Hall has regular events there at a weekend such as the comedy club.

Archived