Tory Chief Whip 'Plebgate' Thread

Police going a bit OTT on this now, since when do the police dictate to the government who should be in it?

Ask Margaret Thatcher about that. She understood.

Police going a bit OTT on this now, since when do the police dictate to the government who should be in it?

They don't.

They do, however, have a right to express an opinion.

Mine is that the Tory Chief Whip represents the true face of the Tory party as opposed to the rhubarb served up during conference week.

The notes from the pocket books of two different officers would have been enough to convict you or I. Why is Mitchell any different?

They don't.

They do, however, have a right to express an opinion.

Mine is that the Tory Chief Whip represents the true face of the Tory party as opposed to the rhubarb served up during conference week.

The notes from the pocket books of two different officers would have been enough to convict you or I. Why is Mitchell any different?

The relevant point is that it was 3 members of the police federation that he saw yesterday. We are on very dangerouse ground if we allow an MP of whatever party to be sacked because a union(police federation) beleive it is the correct course of action.

A verbal warning and apology is what was needed.

Often conversations conducted in the heat of the moment leave different perceptions of what was said by the participants.

I'm no Tory but I don't think Andrew Mitchell should resign. He disputes that he used foul language against the policeman, but acknowledges that he shouldn't have called the policeman a "pleb".

The body representing rank and file officers also weighed in and called his behaviour a disgrace. The same could be said of their treatment of the Home Secretary at their conference earlier in the year when she told them things they didn't want to hear.

It's all very well for police representatives to demand respect and civility, but they must also give it to others - whether they hold public office or not.

I thought if you insulted a policeman in this day and age you get imprissoned as that bloke did when he wore that tshirt. Guess its a rule for one and a rule for the other.

The relevant point is that it was 3 members of the police federation that he saw yesterday. We are on very dangerouse ground if we allow an MP of whatever party to be sacked because a union(police federation) beleive it is the correct course of action.

A verbal warning and apology is what was needed.

Often conversations conducted in the heat of the moment leave different perceptions of what was said by the participants.

The implications of the PM choosing to believe his Chief Whip rather than two members of Her Majesty's Constabulary are rightly a matter of great concern to the Police Federation.

To labour the point, how do you think you would be treated in court were you to say, "I did not use the words attributed to me," when two police notebooks said you did?

Mitchell was not present at his own party's conference in his own constituency. Speaks volumes really. I hope it was'nt too dark for him under that carpet he'd been brushed under.

Privileged, pompous Tory bully boy!

The implications of the PM choosing to believe his Chief Whip rather than two members of Her Majesty's Constabulary are rightly a matter of great concern to the Police Federation.

To labour the point, how do you think you would be treated in court were you to say, "I did not use the words attributed to me," when two police notebooks said you did?

Mitchell was not present at his own party's conference in his own constituency. Speaks volumes really. I hope it was'nt too dark for him under that carpet he'd been brushed under.

Privileged, pompous Tory bully boy!

Has the PM said he believes one or the other? Or has he sensibly accepted that words were said, and apologies have been made? I'm at a loss as to why people can't just accept an apology and move on. As Philip Hammon has said, it has been hijacked for political gain whose interest is to keep it rolling as long as possible. The police federation involved yesterday are playing a political game and they shouldn't be.

Andrew Mitchell hasn't committed a criminal offence otherwise they would have arrested him, so they should leave it at that and get on with the job of policing instead of playing the part of Labour stooges.

Has the PM said he believes one or the other? Or has he sensibly accepted that words were said, and apologies have been made? I'm at a loss as to why people can't just accept an apology and move on. As Philip Hammon has said, it has been hijacked for political gain whose interest is to keep it rolling as long as possible. The police federation involved yesterday are playing a political game and they shouldn't be.

Andrew Mitchell hasn't committed a criminal offence otherwise they would have arrested him, so they should leave it at that and get on with the job of policing instead of playing the part of Labour stooges.

Re my bold. Yes he has!

Try swearing at a policeman and then apologising when you are in court and being fined or imprisoned.

• 2 months later...