Tory Chief Whip 'Plebgate' Thread

Someone is guilty - just not been found to be in a court of law - that's how I see it

It looks incredibly grim for the officer who claimed to be there and wasn't.

Be interesting what the other officers are being disciplined for.

It looks incredibly grim for the officer who claimed to be there and wasn't.

Yup, Turnbulls rules don't really apply when there is a total lack of anyone on a CCTV picture. I'd love to see what his defence is going to be...

Being caught I think is the technical term...

As someone said above it does now sound like some people don't know when to stop digging. Mitchell makes a very credible witness and with the CCTV it's going to be getting expensive for someone in a libel case...

As Mitchel said, he is perfectly willing to take the stand on oath and testify that he never uttered the word pleb as was reported in the officers log. He will ask the officer also to take the stand and swear on oath his version of events. I can't wait. Lying under oath in a court of law is a whole new ball game, and carries a long prison sentence. It remains to be seen how many police officers are prepared to do this and how many break ranks. I can see lost pensions and jail sentences if this runs much longer.

But the trial won't be on the Jeremy Kyle Show, there won't be any lie detector tests (more's the pity). It is one man's word against another's.

Someone is guilty - just not been found to be in a court of law - that's how I see it

Then you don't understand what guilty means in a legal sense.

That's how I see it.:)

---------- Post added 26-11-2013 at 23:19 ----------

Making stuff up.

Probably.

Or, getting caught making stuff up.

But the trial won't be on the Jeremy Kyle Show, there won't be any lie detector tests (more's the pity). It is one man's word against another's.

It certainly is. But then one man has to lie on oath. Would you?

But before all that happens we have one officer charged with presenting a false account of the proceedings. The guy who claimed to have witnessed everything. I anticipate he will rather quickly explain why he came forward and how he knew what to report before the facts had made the press. In a nutshell who leaned on him.

Who will blink first? Who will save their own skin by skinning the rest? This won't end without someone doing time.

Yup, Turnbulls rules don't really apply when there is a total lack of anyone on a CCTV picture. I'd love to see what his defence is going to be...

Being caught I think is the technical term...

As someone said above it does now sound like some people don't know when to stop digging. Mitchell makes a very credible witness and with the CCTV it's going to be getting expensive for someone in a libel case...

This is a good overview of the decisions over prosecutions and disciplinaries:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/nov/26/andrew-mitchell-plebgate-clash-police

And for balance the same points repeated here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2513763/One-police-officer-charged-misconduct-public-office-Plebgate-affair.html

Balancing the Guardian with the Daily Wail is just offensive to quality journalism. While the G is a little left leaning shall we say it's so far removed from the gutter that the Wail occupies that you'd need a ladder to get up to it's level. (you might have guessed I don't like the Daily Heil very much.) Interesting article, shall give it a once over.

We haven't seen any evidence of edited films as claimed by you either.

Not me claiming it. It's the CPS. See the links I posted.

---------- Post added 27-11-2013 at 07:09 ----------

Balancing the Guardian with the Daily Wail is just offensive to quality journalism. While the G is a little left leaning shall we say it's so far removed from the gutter that the Wail occupies that you'd need a ladder to get up to it's level. (you might have guessed I don't like the Daily Heil very much.) Interesting article, shall give it a once over.

It's essentially the same report in both. The same as what C4 stated. No hyperbole. No attempt at interpretation. Just a narrative of events and statements of facts relating to events yesterday.

CPS statement:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/10475473/CPS-Plebgate-statement-in-full.html

The Evening Standard:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/plebgate-officer-charged-but-cps-says-no-proof-downing-street-gate-pc-lied-8964499.html